The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID lights MOT

gaijin

Just talking to a friend that works in an MOT centre(N Ireland) In case those that have them are not aware;any HID lights fitted that does not have a wash and self levelling system will be a fail.He said a grace period might be allowed but that was at the discretion of the tester.This was a new one on me.

I can't say about the rest of the UK.Here in NI after the usual emissions,under bonnet and interior and lights checks The car is driven by the tester onto rollers,front then rear, to check the brakes and hand brake,a computer graph displays the applied pressure readings and overlays a comparison graph of these on the computer.The tester then moves the car onto plates that are vibrated,up,down and side to side to test the suspension,again a graph shows a comparison between left and right sides(too much variation on any of these readings can mean a fail)Next the car moves onto a ramp and raised into the air,blocks put on the chassis,then the wheel supports are lowered,leaving it suspended so the steering and wheel bearings are checked.The underside then thoroughly checked.These centres are big cold intimidating places,four lanes wide,one for HGV's.Sometimes i can't bear to look at whats happening.

A lot stricter test over here, but the hids pass as long as they are projector style lights like the supra, anything else fails unless it has washer and auto level thing, the reason your supra passes mot without cats is because there no available data on the supra emissions on N.I databases, ie they don't exist, if they ever try to fail your supra over here tell them its an import and it will go through no problem

I'm gonna phone one of my mates and ask what is the full story with the new laws, I'm taking my airbag steering wheel out for a sparco wheel, I'm replacing one of my de cat pipes for a standard gutted cat and I'm converting my speedo back to standard although I'd like to keep my hids lol I'll let yas no ASAP