The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another heater problem.....constant cold air!

staples230uk

Having done numerous searches and not found anything as of yet (if there is a thread about this please direct me to it :) )

After my run to london for the LMM meet my heater regardless of temp setting is blowing cold air, and in this weather makes driving without a warm jacket on near impossible. Various suggestions have been heater matrix, flushing radiator, coolant issues. Now being a bit of an engine novice I'm not too sure where to go first. Suggestions please guys and girls! As mentioned above if I have missed a similar thread , just drop a link in and will go from there :)

Did this fault develop suddenly? i.e. was the heater nice and warm, say, last week? If it is sudden then the most likely suspect is the flap that controls whether hot air flows into the cabin's air ducts or not.

If it didn't develop suddenly, then it could be an old/tired heater matrix (flushing through *might* help), or possibly an airlock in the matrix.

Make sure the control arm hasn't come off before you go taking the dash out along with a

few other checks.

If you have to replace the heater matrix then its the whole dash out to do it.

Just had a quick scan through the thread that stevie b has linked gonna go down that route first (on second page of linked thread) fingers crossed thats what it will be!

Just had a quick scan through the thread that stevie b has linked gonna go down that route first (on second page of linked thread) fingers crossed thats what it will be!

Yep thats the chappy and will be a result if its that, good luck

Check your coolant levels too incase you have an unoticed leak on the system other

than a leaking matrix

I noticed on our way back from the LMM meet that the heater was not getting as warm as it did in the summer. ie: When you set the temp at 20 degrees the air was warm coming through, now I have to set it at 25 to get warm air through and at 30 it's roasting. I am assuming that the control arm has moved from where it connects to the flap?

It's suddenly changed so defo not heater matrix. Does the outside temperature affect the ability of the heater in the cabin at all? It was 2 degree outside and I have never used the car when it has been so cold outside. I was also doing about 80 Mph at the time.

H.

Hey guys I have had this problem for a long time and just managed to get it showin to Kenneth Brown from Hillington and he its either 2 problem with my supra not producing hot air, 1 heatermatrix or 2 need to check the valve hope i get this problem fixed in no time as its too cold out there

Hey guys I have had this problem for a long time and just managed to get it showin to Kenneth Brown from Hillington and he its either 2 problem with my supra not producing hot air, 1 heatermatrix or 2 need to check the valve hope i get this problem fixed in no time as its too cold out there

Raz, easiest way to check is look up the side of the transmission tunnel in the passenger footwell and turn the heater control knob at the same time. The rod is about 15 cm's long so you can't miss it. When the heater knob is turned, 2 flaps should move, both connected to the rod. Or if it's in with Kenny Brown, as him to check that first. Kenny is a sound bloke so am sure he can sort it! I deal with him at work. :)

Try turning the heater temperature control one whilst looking under the glovebox in the coner nearest the transmission tunnel. When you turn the heater knob, not the fan control one, look under the dash and you should see 2 white cam type things move, connected by a silver rod. It's obvious when you see it, see the pictures on the second page of the previously mentioned thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?49871-Heater-Maximum-Output-Temperature-Too-Low/page2

You'll spot it straight away! Hope that helps!

To properly eliminate it, try starting the engine (or putting the ignition to position 2) and moving the temperature dial through its entire range. Does the rod move? It should.

The thermostat stciking open is a good suggestion too. Does the coolant temperature needle behave normally when driving the car, or is it stuck at the cold end?

Hi Stevie. yeah the connecting rod is performing as it should and the cooland temp needle goes to temp. As the rod moves to close the flap when cold air is selected it makes like a double clicking noise, for about a second or so. Not too sure if that is normal but when the weather improves I might get the central dash panel out and have a good look.

Hi Stevie. yeah the connecting rod is performing as it should and the cooland temp needle goes to temp. As the rod moves to close the flap when cold air is selected it makes like a double clicking noise, for about a second or so. Not too sure if that is normal but when the weather improves I might get the central dash panel out and have a good look.

Hi Staples,

I am having exactly the same problem, been searching for months & months and I have read every post I can find, I have flushed matrix, fitted new thermostat, checked rods, and all is fine, a few weeks a go I had a nice 48 degrees with a temperature sensor in the vent, now I am lucky if I get 4 degrees, I am having another go tomorrow and will definately let you know if I find anything. Mine seems to work for a bit if I force water back into the matrix outlet pipe whilst running and then quickly put the pipe back on, but after a week of driving I loose all heat.

Steve