The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Monthly Cost Estimate

DonDavidson

Hey guys.

Been looking at buying a Supra for a very very long time now (as you can tell from my join date) but when i initially looked the insurance was too expensive for me to think about purchasing, now with a couple of years NCB and being 23 years old the insurance would be alot cheaper, however i also have to think about the increased fuel costs from my current car and things like TAX and MOT costs, along with services and so on.

My ideal (first) Supra would be the 3L NA manual, although im not adverse to an auto box' if thats the best condition available for the price at that time.

Anyway, getting to the point. My current car costs me, all in all around £460-£500 a month (depends on how much driving is to be done)

is it feasable to expect to be able to run a 3L N/A Supra with that a month?

Cheers for info.

Neil

*Edit* i should have mentioned this before as its pretty important to the question but my £500 a month estimate is including the £300 a month i am currently paying on my finance deal for my current car, needless to say, when i buy my Supra although my budget for the month would be the same, this £300 would be available for covering the extra Fuel and insurance costs, or tucked away for when the MOT-TAX-SERVICE comes round.

breakdown

£300 - finance

£80 - insurance

£100 (ish) - petrol

Edited by DonDavidson (see edit history)

To be honest it all depends on how far you have to drive, I was checking my mpg the other day to work out if my o2 sensors needed replacing and for £10 of petrol I got 43 miles which worked out to be about 26mpg and that was driving on a mix of 30mph - 60mph roads and I was driving like a saint..... and was very bored.

They are still a great car though in NA form but beware the bug we all get where you want more bhp and find out the NA is not the best car to modify in that aspect.

There have been some good buys available on here and for around 3k you could get a great car for your moneys worth.

My mileage is not that much at all, around 5,500-6000 a year, i live just over two miles away from work and all local shops are on the way, last year i covered 6,100 miles but this included driving from Aberdeen to Nantwich (about 50 miles south of manchester) and back plus three trips to glasgow and one to Edinburgh (both being about 300 mile round trips) although i dont expect this to be frequent in the future.

lets say 6,500 to be safe.

*Edit* its 50mph roads straight from my house to my workplace, not many braking points either

As above really, depends on your mileage and the type of driving you do. I was in the same position as yourself not too long ago, working all the costs out etc and it's very likely that the Supra will be more than a typical car.

EDIT - it's typical that the info is posted just as I reply lol

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

I take it the £500 a month is including the cost of paying the car then? Seems an awful lot for a car if it's not.

Are you looking to take a loan out to buy the Supra or are you looking to buy it cash? Really need to know what you are taking into account as part of the car cost.

Be ready for 20mpg and £1.50 per litre.

I take it the £500 a month is including the cost of paying the car then? Seems an awful lot for a car if it's not.

Are you looking to take a loan out to buy the Supra or are you looking to buy it cash? Really need to know what you are taking into account as part of the car cost.

Be ready for 20mpg and £1.50 per litre.

yes it is, i updated my original post.

PS the Supra would be bought outright, no loan.

£1.50 a litre? presumably that must be shell optimax or something as petrol in Aberdeen is currently around £1.29.9 or £1.33.9 for 99RON

Until very recently I ran an NA Supra as my daily drive, doing between 20,000 and 13,000 miles a year. I started out with main dealer servicing and then as the car got older and it became apparent I was going to be keeping her a lot longer then planned (9 years in total) I dropped back to independant garages, and then to doing it myself.

Being a habitual budgeter I did a massive spreadsheet with all the "usual" running costs in it and worked out what I needed to put into an account each montth to make sure they were always covered.

I can look tonight at what the initial estimates came out as. I can tell you that most recently I was putting in £400 each month and not spending it all.

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you as much info as you want. I think the big diefference will be insurance as I was 31 when I got the Supra, but you can easily work out the additional amount.

yes it is, i updated my original post.

PS the Supra would be bought outright, no loan.

£1.50 a litre? presumably that must be shell optimax or something as petrol in Aberdeen is currently around £1.29.9 or £1.33.9 for 99RON

You can run an NA on 95 RON with no problems.

So to get this correct, you have £200/month to run a Supra?

£20/month = Tax (£220ish/year)

£150/month = Fuel @ £1.30/litre, 500 miles/month, 20mpg.

£30/month = money left to cover servicing/unexpecteds/wear and tear things like tires....?

I would say you'll be fine until you need to replace something due to wear and tear.

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

So to get this correct, you have £200/month to run a Supra?

£150/month = Fuel @ £1.30/litre, 500 miles/month, 20mpg.

I get 26mpg on varying speed roads as it is although my car has only done 52k miles, I found on a dual carriageway or even 60mph A roads that as long as it it a constant speed I can do about 30mpg average if I keep my right foot in check.

I get 26mpg on varying speed roads as it is although my car has only done 52k miles, I found on a dual carriageway or even 60mph A roads that as long as it it a constant speed I can do about 30mpg average if I keep my right foot in check.

This I would say is a best case scenario. Plan for the worst, rather than the best case imho.

I just noticed that your £500 figure only leaves £200 for running and the rest is finance. I think you will find that is a bit tight, but as mentioned above it depends very much on how you use it and how you want it maintained.

Yes but as i mentioned with my edit of my original post, my CURRENT car has £300 of my £500 budget tied up in finance, but the supra would be bought outright, therefor no finance, freeing up that £300 to go on the running cost of the supra, giving me £500 for fuel and insurance per month, and whatever is left over going towards the mot/tax/service.

Im only 22 with now 1 years no claims and i have a auto tt im fully comp and i just paid my insurance on monday £702.00 theres ways of beating the insureance companys and helps having a fresh import if you want more info just pm me pal.

i do about £20-£40 a week on fuel and she is my daily runner its just how you drive a supra, just try and put £50 pound a week away for service,tax,mot,insurance,things that that go wrong then you will always be ok tax is no more exspencive than normal pal good luck with it

its great when you get 1

Edited by Supraleeturbo (see edit history)