The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake System ....Help

MattP

Hi guys im having a horrible few weeks with a N/A Auto Supra I bought a few weeks ago it seems everytime somethings sorted another issue shows face anyway back to the point I was sat at some traffic lights today after stopping waiting etc I pressed down the brake to engage drive and my pedal just sank to the floor from then on the pedal needs to be pressed all the way down just to slow the car down (Poorly I may add) its as if there is just no pressure on the brakes then once your foot is flat out on the brakes the wheels lock up.

Any Ideas on where to start[OOPS][/OOPS]

Car details.... Pre facelift N/A Auto standard braking system, no ABS from what I was told all fluids belts etc have recently been changed.

Its not that bad really I was only a mile or so from home so I took it back straight away and tucked it away back in the garage as mentioned its too dangerous to use on the roads I suppose its gave me an excuse to use the mr2 anyway Im going to strip down the calipers front and rear check stuff over for signs of wear/damage then put it all back together fresh fluid bleed etc.

Il keep this thread informed of my findings thanks for the comments guys.

I found a thread from Dr Jekyl stating he had this problem and it was just the brake pedal adjustment had been fiddled with so it could be an easy fix fingers crossed

First thing to check is the reservoir. If your low on fluid then that would point to a leak. If the level is fine and staying fine then I would probably look towards air in the system. A faulty seal in the MC would probably leave you with no brakes at all rather than nothing on the first pump followed by good braking on the 2nd.

Il get the car on some stands and have a good look around all the lines etc the brake fluid level has stayed at the max so I think i can rule out a leak.

I also forgot to mention that the hazard light on the dash and the handbrake light have been constantly illuminated since the brakes failed

Il get the car on some stands and have a good look around all the lines etc the brake fluid level has stayed at the max so I think i can rule out a leak.

I also forgot to mention that the hazard light on the dash and the handbrake light have been constantly illuminated since the brakes failed

Sounds like the brake fluid level mate. Are you sure the fluid is on the max and it isn't just a mark left?

Well after leaving the car in the garage for a few hours I went back to have a closer look the fluid level has now dropped and there is a large puddle below the centre of the car it would appear that the hardline connections or the hardlines themselves have given up on life as per a previous post somone had problems with this and they put it down to dirt and salt etc building up behind the exhaust heat shield.

I have been really unlucky with this car unfortunatly one thing after another :(