The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A - T - total cost

Kazuma

Hey guys.

I realise this might be a bit of a stupid question, but just wondered for those that have taken the plunge, how much did the conversion cost? this would including fitting. For an example i'm going off a stock N/A and going for 400bhp mark.

Who would you recommend speaking to from your experience?

Been reading up on people's project work and checking out other topics but not really found an average price. I assume it's best to speak to someone about it..

My budget would be 4-5k, but i don't know if that's not enough or average, or in fact a decent amount and would get a half decent setup.

:rolleyes:

It depends how you go about it mate! mine cost around 2.5k but myself and friends done the work ourselfs.

With that I got a budget T-61 turbo and manifold and the rest was branded items.

If you run 9psi on stock block it will be very close to 400bhp if not it could hit the 400bhp.

Alot of guys running NA-T normally hit around 375bhp @7psi.

:)

hmmm, ok guys thanks for the replies. i'll give Paul a holla and see about prices, I have a mate that should be able to do the fitting (though i'll have to confirm first!).

Just to confirm Fosta, if I wanted to say go for 450bhp, I'd need a different engine, preferably a TT?

No you won't need a new engine mate although alot of people will recommend going for a TT.

@ 450bhp I would recommend changing the gear box as I'm not a 100% sure if it will be ok with that power ( if it was me I would just see how the gearbox copes) then if it brakes change it for a 6 speed.

I'm not sure if you can make 450bhp on stock compression so I would fit a TT headgasket (if you really want to make good safe power I would also fit TT pistons while your doing the gasket).

You would also need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors I would of thought.

You can make 400bhp on stock block and compression! So if you changed the head gasket, pistons , gear box , fuel system I woldnt go for 450bhp I would try for around 500-550bhp ;)

Assuming it's a stock NA Supra here's a rough list of the parts you'll need.

Quality NA-T kit eg. the Whifbitz kit £3,658.74 (forget any cheap Ebay rubbish)

Plus:

Cat back exhaust

Fuel injectors

Fuel pump

Fuel filter

Distributor cap/rotor arm/HT leads

Spark plugs

Oil

Oil filter

Gearbox?

Clutch?

Oil cooler

Boost gauge

AFR gauge

Boost controller?

Radiator - condition?

Intake pipe

Airfilter

BOV/boss/welding

Various gaskets and fittings

Labour

Mapping/dyno time

If you want a reliable car at the end of it then my advice would be not to cut any corners, use only quality parts, use a reputable tuner and don't have a tight budget, you will blow it in my experience :)

Plus worth considering insurance increase with declared modifications and resale value - you will find it difficult/impossible to sell on.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Cheap mechanical bits will save you agro. A weld on a cracked manifold (if it cracks) won't break the bank. Buy NEW electronics. It's a PAIN if something doesnt work right. typically most mechanical bits are an easy fix. A faulty ECU, boost controller is NOT what you want. Don't go second hand unless its 110% trusted.

Unless you peice it together bit at a time, it's probably easier going TT. Plus when you want to expand you have LOADS of cheaper parts as TT modification is more common (in relation to intake manifolds, fuel rails, most other stuff is the same). I'm picking up another engine this week to start building it from scratch, it will cost me more money for less power by the time i'm finished.

Plus one big issue... TRANSMISSION!

Blimey so there are a lot of other things I need to factor in. OK that's good to know..might best to make a shopping list and tot it up to get a realistic price.

Also have a look at the cost of a TT these days, probably not much in it,

OK thanks for clearing that up. I'd think 400 would be fine for now tbh. Did you upgrade your brakes? Mine are the standard jspec discs and calipers. I've sent Paul a PM so will see what he comes back with...

No my brakes are the standard jspec mate they work fine ;)

I noticed that Someone mentioned about resale on a NA-t.

I built mine so if I want to sell on I can just unplug everything so it's back to NA for example I bought a harness adaptor so I cut into that for the EMU wires so it's just plug and play and non of the factory wires have been cut and the turbo just bolts off and I can just bolt my NA manifold and airbox and it's back to NA and then I can sell the kit in full or keep for another NA-t project ;)

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)