The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What bush kit to use

Guest adam b

Good morning to all,

i was looking at replacing all the bush,s on the car when i strip the running gear.

MVP do r2 racing

WIFBITZ do blue pro bush,s

what are the better to use on the car ??

atb adam b:d

It seems to be general consensus on here that the use of poly bushes on the supra deteriorates the handling of the car. Everyone just advocates buying new arms from Mr T, but this is an eye watering experience which becomes less viable as the cars get older.

Why Toyota never did a bush kit for the Supra I will never know, well I suspect it's because they realised they could rinse you for a few grand on buying needless parts.

I would be interested to hear from people who have poly bush kits installed and how they get on with them.

Guest Rsand85
It seems to be general consensus on here that the use of poly bushes on the supra deteriorates the handling of the car. Everyone just advocates buying new arms from Mr T, but this is an eye watering experience which becomes less viable as the cars get older.

Why Toyota never did a bush kit for the Supra I will never know, well I suspect it's because they realised they could rinse you for a few grand on buying needless parts.

I would be interested to hear from people who have poly bush kits installed and how they get on with them.

me to i have been looking into this for a couple of weeks also there's a few different kits. Have my subframes off the car so was going to take the chance to fit complete kit + TRD sway bars.

It seems to be general consensus on here that the use of poly bushes on the supra deteriorates the handling of the car. Everyone just advocates buying new arms from Mr T.

:yeahthat:

They use to sell all the replacement bushes through TRD. Only the TRD front bushes are still available though now.

Poly bushes can be very labour intensive to fit, some of what you save in the cost of the parts you will end up paying in additional labour costs. I would fit new OEM Toyota arms or alternatively TRD bushes on the front.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

me to i have been looking into this for a couple of weeks also there's a few different kits. Have my subframes off the car so was going to take the chance to fit complete kit + TRD sway bars.

i was also gonna fit trd sway bars when i strip the car,but before i do i need to find out if thay really work lol.

It shouldn't ruin the handling, it will just make it a lot less comfortable and more twitchy on the limit. Soft progression gives you a bit more wiggle room for when things go wrong. Tightening everything up lets the car corner faster and hold on that bit better, but when it does let go it'll take a lot to catch it unfortunately. This is why people see the handling as being worse, it's just not as easy to judge on the limit.

this is a good question and something i was also looking into...my main reason for changing is my rear top arm bushes have play in them

i was reading dustys words on the R2 racing bush kit,,

he spoke of it highly.

i was gonna get the full lot for the control arms and the steering rack ones.

it works out $430 for the lot.

when you work it out on the convertor its a really good price comperd to some. i need some other stuff from mvp so il proberly go with the r2 kit..

It shouldn't ruin the handling, it will just make it a lot less comfortable and more twitchy on the limit. Soft progression gives you a bit more wiggle room for when things go wrong. Tightening everything up lets the car corner faster and hold on that bit better, but when it does let go it'll take a lot to catch it unfortunately. This is why people see the handling as being worse, it's just not as easy to judge on the limit.

so what would you do scott, buy new from mr t or

do a refurb on the old ones with new bushes ,,the end rusult i wont is a very good handling well planted supra.??

cheers mate ..

so what would you do scott, buy new from mr t or

do a refurb on the old ones with new bushes ,,the end rusult i wont is a very good handling well planted supra.??

cheers mate ..

Personally I'm not aiming for a track focused car to squeeze out every bit of performance in the bends. I much prefer my car to be aimed at a fast road car so I would always go with the Toyota option. I couldn't afford to spend that sort of cash ont he wishbones at the moment due to aiming towards power for the moment, so instead I contacted Keron and got some good used 2nd hand arms.

It's not ideal but its better than what I currently have :)

Personally I'm not aiming for a track focused car to squeeze out every bit of performance in the bends. I much prefer my car to be aimed at a fast road car so I would always go with the Toyota option. I couldn't afford to spend that sort of cash ont he wishbones at the moment due to aiming towards power for the moment, so instead I contacted Keron and got some good used 2nd hand arms.

It's not ideal but its better than what I currently have :)

i hear you mate ,thanks for the advice

I fitted a complete Super pro bush kit from Whifbitz to my track car's suspension.

Can't say it was a particularly cheap or pleasant job, I did all the work myself, but I'm very happy with the end result. Great feedback, combined with a Chris Wilson fast road Bilstein kit and it certainly makes other changes made to suspension components or geometry far easier to quantify. A justifiable upgrade if you have need of it IMO.

Fitting solid bushes to a road car is a lot less detrimental to its handling than say fitting overly hard coil overs with little or no droop. However they can put extra loads on other parts of the car that weren't envisaged so do ensure that you are the proud owner of a fundamentally solid and sound car before embarking on the overhaul.

I am also running Super pro bush kit from Whifbitz with TRD Bilsteins shocks & Springs ; I did try to get the TRD bushes but some are discontinued and others are not plus they wanted 700 for the front alone

Just got the Super pro bush kit and to be honest I dont find any difference in handeling just a bit tighter

If your bushes are gone , I would also advise checking the balljoints over; if gone then you have the predicament of keeping the new Toyota arms with the Toyota OEM bushes or replacing them with Super pro

Not to sure if it is a good idea to have the lower arms toyota OEM and all the other Super Pro, I choose to go all Super Pro

all of mine will be up for grabs when thay come of the car ,apart from new bushes needed ther fine,uppers are alloy and are nice and shiny the lowers are well rusty and need shot blasting and powder coated.

the reason im changing them is iv got a heavy dose of OCD and im not planing on getting rid for 5 years at least ,so i need the car as good as new.or as close as i can get to it.

or if eny one would like me to order them from my local mr t dealer thats also fine .

or call JOHN AT WORCESTOR TOYOTA AND SAY ADAM SENT YOU HE WILL GIVE YOU 20/30% DICOUNT JUST DONT BE TO PUSHY WITH HIM AND HE,S FINE.

I SOME TIME GET 40% IF IM REALLY LUCKY..

atb adam

im going with complete new arms,lower and upper,oem from mr t its what the car rolled of the line with so im sticking with that.

Not cheap but I guarantee you won't be disappointed, the difference it made to mine was staggering, ride quality, grip and handling were transformed. It actually shocked me just how much of a difference it made, I'd obviously been driving around for some time not realising just how bad the handling had got.

A friend of mine who use to do competitive racing set it up for me which also made a big difference, turn in was sharper, cornering speeds were significantly quicker and there was so much more grip when putting down the power out of the corners.

When I first got my Supra I did what a lot of us do and spent money on chasing more power, if I ever get another Supra optimising the handling and braking would be my first priority over any performance mods. I would chose a properly set up Supra running stock power over a BPU Supra with tired suspension everytime now.