The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wideband afr readings

bigbloodyturbo

Sorry for this if its obvious to the more experienced folk among you but I'd appreciate some advice.

I've just fitted my LC-1 wideband and gauge today (in the bloody snow whilst outside I may add). Now when initially started from cold I was getting 10-11 which quickly jumped to approx 12.4, once it was warmed up this went up to 14.6 (oscillating just below stoich). When revved the afr can see 18-21 when coming back down and can be 13 when revving up.

Does this sound right? I dont know what they should be really, I'm assuming the afr is showing way lean when the revs are on the way down as it has shut the injectors but on the way up what should it be? I'm not wanting to drive it on boost as its unmapped and untaxed but I'm trying to get it ready for an mot and would like to be sure its ok for the drive over to the mot station and the test itself.

Mine is between 14.2 and 15.1 on idle

cruise is roughly the same and at wot im reading 11.4 but then drops to 10. When its revved should the reading not come down rather than up to 18-21? I was wondering about my readings today also i just got afr and egt guages fitted this morning.

Mine is between 14.2 and 15.1 on idle

cruise is roughly the same and at wot im reading 11.4 but then drops to 10. When its revved should the reading not come down rather than up to 18-21? I was wondering about my readings today also i just got afr and egt guages fitted this morning.

When I rev it up it seems to get lean for a split second then richen up but when i come off the throttle and it revs down it goes quite lean untill it slows down to idle where it goes back to 14.6.

Do you think this would be ok for the mot? I'm assuming they wont need to drive it for the mot and will only rev it to get the emissions readings. During the test will it be under load and possibly build boost?

thats what I thought but just wanted to confirm. There will be quite a few obvious questions coming from me in the coming weeks I would imagine. Do you know the answer about the mot situation? will it be ok going in unmapped?

The reason the AFRs go lean when you shut the throttle is because the ECU actually cut injector duty, so no fuel, the wide-band sensor will be responding slightly slower, so playing catch up so to speak, nothing unusual.

thats what I thought but just wanted to confirm. There will be quite a few obvious questions coming from me in the coming weeks I would imagine. Do you know the answer about the mot situation? will it be ok going in unmapped?

Can you tell me what ECU you have and what other mods?

They will (unless they are modded car friendly and know its de catted;)) rev the engine to get to cat up to temp.

They wont need to drive the car for the mot mate it will just be turned on for taking the emission readings i would think. Dont think they rev it for the emission test do they?

I hope they dont need to rev it but I've had to tell previous testers to wise up after witnessing them revving it so hard I thought I'd have to pick the valvetrain out the bonnet just so they could get a cleaner emissions result.

Can you tell me what ECU you have and what other mods?

They will (unless they are modded car friendly and know its de catted;)) rev the engine to get to cat up to temp.

Currently on the stock ecu but have a solaris/syvecs ready to go in. The nearest person to me that can tune it (well he says he can anyway) is over an hour away from the car. Other mods are single T71 with associated gubbins but everything else is stock at the moment. I have a triple pump hangar with two walbros in it and a twin entry fuel rail and a set of denso 800cc injectors in it. Also got the associated braided line for feed and high flow filter and was planning on using stock return unless I cant keep the fuel pressure down with the twin walbros. ALso have aeromotive fpr to go with the rail.

Edited by bigbloodyturbo (see edit history)

I hope they dont need to rev it but I've had to tell previous testers to wise up after witnessing them revving it so hard I thought I'd have to pick the valvetrain out the bonnet just so they could get a cleaner emissions result.

Currently on the stock ecu but have a solaris/syvecs ready to go in. The nearest person to me that can tune it (well he says he can anyway) is over an hour away from the car. Other mods are single T71 with associated gubbins but everything else is stock at the moment. I have a triple pump hangar with two walbros in it and a twin entry fuel rail and a set of denso 800cc injectors in it. Also got the associated braided line for feed and high flow filter and was planning on using stock return unless I cant keep the fuel pressure down with the twin walbros. ALso have aeromotive fpr to go with the rail.

But which of these mods will be fitted before it goes to MOT?

Only reason to drive will be to do a brake test as they dont like to do it on the rollers if it has a lsd

Apart from the fact that the rollers are self powered, so no need to drive, why would LSD make any odds??

But which of these mods will be fitted before it goes to MOT?

Well when it goes for mot I would like to have just the turbo on and running nicely (which it is now) and nothin else. When its mot'd it'll go up the road to get the 800's and the fuel installed and then the syvecs installed and mapped. Just need to get it mot'd so i can tax it.

Should be fine then, if you don't get tempted to give it more than a few lbs of boost, presume its decated?

Yes its decatted, I have cut and welded the downipe to fit the midpipe so hopfully the 2nd stock cat will fit as it did when it was bpu. Currently I have a truboost wired in and ready but its only acting as a boost gauge now, solenoid is wrapped up and not fitted, I have a 10pound spring in the wastegate and have used the compressor cover as a signal line straight to the wastegate. I'm hoping this will be fine for normal driving and aslong as i keep an eye on afr and dont do any flat out overtaking maneouveres between here and the mapper it should be ok.

I was hoping that even if they did rev its tits off then it should be ok as it shouldn't build any boost while under no load/standstill.