The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4WD Supra

Dnk

Okay i've got to ask incase im wrong but does anyone do a 4WD conversion for a mkiv supra ?

I personally dont see how without doing some very serious modifications.

A certain person was telling me this today, they said Nismo !! do a kit for the supra and its £11k !!

I had to bite my tongue as they were buying the Micra i have for sale, a few other comments about

1 sec 0-60 3000 hp rd cars were also passed, again i had to bite my tongue.

I've never heard of a kit being sold but I've heard and seen the same supra mentioned from Russia/Poland.

As for Nismo making it, that sounds like a load of tosh. I know of a few 4wd RB powered Micras but that's just a running gear transfer from a Skyline.

I used to own a Ferguson Formula (yes, the tractor people), four wheel drive Ford Zephyr. they made several for the police to test, as well as some triumph 2.5 PI ones. They cast a special sump with a diff in it 9way before Nissan did with the Skyline) and used Ford mustang double wishbone front suspension so the drive shafts could enter bespoke hubs. The gearbox was a Ford auto with a bespoke tailhshaft housing with a transfer case cast in, again like a Skyline. It also had Dunlop maxaret anti lock brakes, the first on a road car after a one off Ferguson four wheel drive experimental car with fibreglass bodywork, to test the hardware in. The floor pan was cut and shut to miss the transfer box. I was short of money and flogged it as it kept blowing head gasket, i changed them about six times, but in hindsight the block was warped. I wish i had it now, it was a splendid thing that handled really well fro a big heavy barge, and was awesome in the snow. What became of these cars i don't know, I might have a Google sometime. So yes, it could be done, but would involve custom front suspension, floor pan mods and a bespoke sump, which would perhaps be cheaper fabricated than cast if it was a one off. Would be a lot easier just to buy a Skyline or an Audi.... ;) The technology Ferguson andDunlop developed was fully productionised later, in the four wheel drive Jensen FF Interceptor.

I used to own a Ferguson Formula (yes, the tractor people), four wheel drive Ford Zephyr. they made several for the police to test, as well as some triumph 2.5 PI ones. They cast a special sump with a diff in it 9way before Nissan did with the Skyline) and used Ford mustang double wishbone front suspension so the drive shafts could enter bespoke hubs. The gearbox was a Ford auto with a bespoke tailhshaft housing with a transfer case cast in, again like a Skyline. It also had Dunlop maxaret anti lock brakes, the first on a road car after a one off Ferguson four wheel drive experimental car with fibreglass bodywork, to test the hardware in. The floor pan was cut and shut to miss the transfer box. I was short of money and flogged it as it kept blowing head gasket, i changed them about six times, but in hindsight the block was warped. I wish i had it now, it was a splendid thing that handled really well fro a big heavy barge, and was awesome in the snow. What became of these cars i don't know, I might have a Google sometime. So yes, it could be done, but would involve custom front suspension, floor pan mods and a bespoke sump, which would perhaps be cheaper fabricated than cast if it was a one off. Would be a lot easier just to buy a Skyline or an Audi.... ;) The technology Ferguson andDunlop developed was fully productionised later, in the four wheel drive Jensen FF Interceptor.

oh wow, my dad had an old triumph prototype when he worked for ff

my first quattro i believe had ff 4wd, as did my 6r4

would be worth a bit if you still had it now mate

Ask him if he remembers the police Zephyrs, they were all white, with zipped headlinings for access to the roof signs etcetera. See if he recalls the fibreglass odd looking prototype FF made. I remember mine had the big none stock speedo with calibration sticker, remote from the normal one. Circa 1965 to '68 for the prototype I'd say. My Zephyr was a "G" reg.

Theres one in a scrap yard close to me,Its proper on the ground, Apparently they are ultra rare with only something like ten (?) ever made
Probably less than that. i think mine went up to Scotland when i flogged it. I'll have some photos in an album somewhere, but it's depressing looking at all the stuff you shouldn't have sold, so I won't bother :)

There is a gtr skyline on youtube that's 2jz powered and 4wd that was built in Thailand

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2007/12/2jz-powered-all-wheel-drive-r32-gt-r.html?m=1

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/87646-r32-2jz-4wd-800hp-one-world-pics-video.html

If it can be built into a skyline I can't see why it couldn't be done to a supra

Edited by Stephen G (see edit history)

There is a gtr skyline on youtube that's 2jz powered and 4wd that was built in Thailand

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2007/12/2jz-powered-all-wheel-drive-r32-gt-r.html?m=1

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/87646-r32-2jz-4wd-800hp-one-world-pics-video.html

If it can be built into a skyline I can't see why it couldn't be done to a supra

Now thats a car i would love to own.

Ask him if he remembers the police Zephyrs, they were all white, with zipped headlinings for access to the roof signs etcetera. See if he recalls the fibreglass odd looking prototype FF made. I remember mine had the big none stock speedo with calibration sticker, remote from the normal one. Circa 1965 to '68 for the prototype I'd say. My Zephyr was a "G" reg.

I'm dropping by my dads next week, had telecon and he may even have some old pics of ff prototypes and variants

I've actually got an old Bedford cf FF still lol,

you wouldnt have to go to that amount of work.

skyline box modified to fit the 2jz and the supra sump incorporated with the skyline front diff set up.

You would also need to mod the rear cradle to accept the skline diff to get the ratios front and rear the same, the front supension, steering and hubs would be the difficult part