The mkiv Supra Owners Club

restrictor ring best place?

ashbuster

any reason for this?

i only have a manual ball and spring controller to fit at the moment so i wanted to put the ring in,

and lol @dude :)

I'm not sure why it did it to be honest. My guess is it just made the system to restrictive. The RR would hold boost at 1bar with the EBC turned off. With it turned in it would hit 1.2bar but when it got to about 5k rpm it would just hold back. So took it out and turned the EBC off. It hit just under 1.2 in 3rd about 1.22 in 4th then in 5th and 6th about 1.27 which I don't mind because I don't hammer it all the time in the top gears but it dosent hold back anymore. An RR is an exact science some cars need them and some don't and other just need a slightly bigger hole made in them. It all depends on the system you have really

Since we talking restriction in the exhaust, do the silencers in the tailpipe cause much restriction?

I stuck my one back on the car as it was disturbing my neighbours, it quietened it down a hell of lot so surely it must be restrictive?

Yes, the more silencers the more restriction you add. Also the diameter of the exhaust itself makes a difference.

The stock exhaust system is very restrictive.

One thing to make note of is how much boost your car makes without a controller in place. You want it to be just above 1.0bar as otherwise you will have too much of a restriction on the system causing higher than normal EGTs.

Yes, the more silencers the more restriction you add. Also the diameter of the exhaust itself makes a difference.

One thing to make note of is how much boost your car makes without a controller in place. You want it to be just above 1.0bar as otherwise you will have too much of a restriction on the system causing higher than normal EGTs.

Will check it out..

I wonder I could lose the RR and just use the silencer??

I came across this advert on Yahoo, it is a replacement actuator that is supposed to handle 1-2kg of boost (not sure what that is in bar)..

I take it it has a stiffer spring, I reckon it would not eliminate the need for a RR?

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k130735183

Will check it out..

I wonder I could lose the RR and just use the silencer??

I came across this advert on Yahoo, it is a replacement actuator that is supposed to handle 1-2kg of boost (not sure what that is in bar)..

I take it it has a stiffer spring, I reckon it would not eliminate the need for a RR?

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k130735183

It's not the actuator that's the issue. It's the size of the wastegate hole. It just isn't big enough to allow enough of the exhaust gas to push through.

I read on here ( a few years back) that the RR sould be placed as far back in the exhaust as possibe. If it's to close to the front or the down pipe that the gases are spinning around in the pipe and the RR cant do it's job properly. I'll be honset, I've had mine at the front and the back and didnt see any difference.

I don't want to raise my EGT's on my J-Spec TT cuz I don't have a gauge in place just yet. So let me get this straight. After I do a double decat, Nur Spec R and rr in place I should be around 1.0BAR right? Also what does the added rr do to my EGT's. I guess my question is: Is the stock exhaust more restrictive then adding and 1BAR restrictor ring? My goal is to hit 1BAR with Decat the use an EBC to raise it to 1.2 for spirited occasions :)

I don't want to raise my EGT's on my J-Spec TT cuz I don't have a gauge in place just yet. So let me get this straight. After I do a double decat, Nur Spec R and rr in place I should be around 1.0BAR right? Also what does the added rr do to my EGT's. I guess my question is: Is the stock exhaust more restrictive then adding and 1BAR restrictor ring? My goal is to hit 1BAR with Decat the use an EBC to raise it to 1.2 for spirited occasions :)

The rr ring won't make much difference to you're egt's it will just provide enough back pressure to stop you're j spec tubs spooling to about 1.6bar and failure. The stock exhaust is more restrictive yes.

The rr ring won't make much difference to you're egt's it will just provide enough back pressure to stop you're j spec tubs spooling to about 1.6bar and failure. The stock exhaust is more restrictive yes.

Any restriction in the system will raise the EGTs unfortunately. The key is keeping the restriction to the minimum required to keep boost levels safe. Before I installed my RR I would see around 800-850 degrees f when motorway cruising around, once i installed it I saw anything from 950-1000 degrees f when motorway cruising. This was a bit high and without boost control I wasn't getting above 0.9bar. I ground out the RR so that I would hit a max of 1.1bar and my EGTs dropped to 900-950 on motorway cruising.

I would always recommend aiming for 1.0-1.1bar with no boost control (1.0 in the lower gears, 1.1 in the higher) as this keeps the EGTs as low as they can be when going for 1.2bar.

What did you mean by "ground out"? Do you mean grind out the rr?? Also How do I "aim for exactly 1.0bar ?

Any restriction in the system will raise the EGTs unfortunately. The key is keeping the restriction to the minimum required to keep boost levels safe. Before I installed my RR I would see around 800-850 degrees f when motorway cruising around, once i installed it I saw anything from 950-1000 degrees f when motorway cruising. This was a bit high and without boost control I wasn't getting above 0.9bar. I ground out the RR so that I would hit a max of 1.1bar and my EGTs dropped to 900-950 on motorway cruising.

I would always recommend aiming for 1.0-1.1bar with no boost control (1.0 in the lower gears, 1.1 in the higher) as this keeps the EGTs as low as they can be when going for 1.2bar.