The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs S6gp install on my '99 vvti... thanks to Ryan G

Mike B

Hi All,

Having owned this car for 5 years It's had a few different turbos on it, cast and tubular manifolds, been mapped twice (original Vpro was adaptive).

There have been a few cars on the board to take this ECU now... some positive results so I understand..

I picked it up yesterday after a S6gp install. The main reason for doing this was the PITA stock FBW control, which was not tuneable, for that matter not even by-passable...

I have to say that the difference is not small. It's STAGGERING.

- throttle response is instantaneous (the old system must have been hugely delayed to smooth things - or maybe just lazy)

- the car now makes an extra 70hp, without any fuss at all in every gear,

- the power curve is much more gradual - take a look! quite incredible... like an n/a car!

- spool is incredible - in 6th I get positive boost at 1.8k in 6th, with bucket loads at 3k, perfect for loafing around on the motorway.

- the knock feedback means the engine is totally safe

- the traction control is so much more effective than the Racelogic, it seems far more adaptive, progressive and controlled.

- egts are much lower

- I have full data-logging ability

- vvti control is fully integrated into the ecu

..the list goes on...

IT IS A DIFFERENT CAR...

quite remarkable.

I gave her to Ryan as an aged, asthmatic grumpy old girl, and she came back reborn. Very impressed... well done chap.

If anyone owns a VVTI then I'd say it is the first thing you should look at, but then if you own a vvti you will probably know this anyway..

supra small.jpg

thanks for the kind words...

time to clean her up now and fix a few last niggles.

Nice power there mate, you going to do donnington again.

Is there a group mission on...? i did enjoy it last time and I have a set of slicks on spare wheels, not that they would have been used last time tho!

Great work Mike and Ryan! Almost 200hp @ 3500rpm (one of my favourite indications of a well setup, responsive Supra)

This has always been my goal for this car.. top end is a bonus, but something that is responsive was always the key for me. I had a GT35R turbo on it to start with, but on a tubular manifold. Noticeable difference when I changed to the cast, but honestly the biggest difference of all was the syvecs,

It's made everything I have tried so far look like a joke in terms of response; it honestly feels like a completely different engine. I owned a BM 540i manual for a while and the supra is so much more responsive than that now, and way more powerful at lower rpm...

also made me chuckle - the speedo is DEAD accurate.. I checked it with gps everywhere and it's absolutely bang on.. the old one was accurate some places then out others..

sorry I have just joined the vvti tiptronic i presume?? group, what does this actually do this kit?

everything...

but for me the most important is that is controld the FBW,

bonus is that it has an incredible trac system as well.

It can be set up to do virtually anything...

Hi Mike B. Congrats on the power firstly.

I am interested in your opinion on the FCON. What are the issues that you feel the FCON is miles apart from the Syvecs? I assume it was mapped properly on your car?

I understand that the Syvecs is much newer technology so I would expect it to be a better product.

My car is going to South Africa eventually, were i have a HKS tuner with lots of experience and a good reputation, and a Syvecs tuner who is new to the scene.

I am leaning towards the FCON, but obviuosly I would want the best in my car..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Fcon was a very good unit, and when we mapped it the results were impressive in term of what it can do / power and precision of the unit, but the problem was that it still had to rely on the VVTI stock throttle which works fine on the stock setup, but it is my honest opinion that with a single the throttle was the weak link;

the stock ecu would take data from all over the engine and would cause throttle cut. You cant by-pass it and you cant tune it, you cant datalog it, short of replacing it there was nothing you could do..

If you were not FBW throttle then I would say go for it, but remember syvecs does a better job of T/C so you then do not have to buy RLTC or similar...

I have a full HKS install if you are interested ;-)

Update the register chap :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?129455-Supra-ECU-Register/page8

Interesting comparing against my graph on post 295, my torque on stock cams tails off more aggressively than yours.

Love the sound the Syvecs TC makes? Well worth the cost of wiring it in (Ryan for the work I think you do that probably too cheap!)

Yhpm

hi mike b. Congrats on the power firstly.

I am interested in your opinion on the fcon. What are the issues that you feel the fcon is miles apart from the syvecs? I assume it was mapped properly on your car?

I understand that the syvecs is much newer technology so i would expect it to be a better product.

My car is going to south africa eventually, were i have a hks tuner with lots of experience and a good reputation, and a syvecs tuner who is new to the scene.

I am leaning towards the fcon, but obviuosly i would want the best in my car..

Thanks.

The joys of VVTI :)

Was setting up TC on a Straight through 3sgte last night and the noise was comedy!!

Interesting comparing against my graph on post 295, my torque on stock cams tails off more aggressively than yours.

Love the sound the Syvecs TC makes? Well worth the cost of wiring it in (Ryan for the work I think you do that probably too cheap!)

I used to have the GT35 and did found it tailed off at high revs, even with a tubular manifold..

The more I look at other peoples dyno sheets the happier I get with my own...

at 3500 rpm Im getting around 200hp and 270ft/lb, which is well infront of most of the 61's and smaller tubbies, even better than stock, and 617 at the top end,

I have an active exhaust to set up which I hope to kill enough of the drone without killing the bottom end I hope....

happy days... it all seems to have come together nicely!

I must dig out the old vpro dyno sheet as a comparison...

the biggest difference is the upper end torque, car feels like it has legs over 4k, and I've never felt this before...

Even though the bottom end does not seem to be too different the throttle response of the new FBW makes it feel alive and much quicker on the uptake...

The Fcon was a very good unit, and when we mapped it the results were impressive in term of what it can do / power and precision of the unit, but the problem was that it still had to rely on the VVTI stock throttle which works fine on the stock setup, but it is my honest opinion that with a single the throttle was the weak link;

the stock ecu would take data from all over the engine and would cause throttle cut. You cant by-pass it and you cant tune it, you cant datalog it, short of replacing it there was nothing you could do..

If you were not FBW throttle then I would say go for it, but remember syvecs does a better job of T/C so you then do not have to buy RLTC or similar...

I have a full HKS install if you are interested ;-)

Thanks for the feedback..

Ryan gave me some options, hopefully can get the Syvecs.