The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wood effect trim on dash

fredm

Hi guys and girls, quick question from a newbie if you don't mind.

I am going to look at a 94 non turbo auto tomorrow.

The pic's on the dealers web site show the dash as having a wood effect trim, was this ever a standard finish or has somebody gone nuts with the Fablon?

If it is none standard and the dash is ruined can we pick up dash panels easily or are they like rocking horse poo?

Great site bye the way.

Thanks Fred.

The dealers site is http://www.a41motorcentre.co.uk

Thanks for the info. Not sure I like the sound of wood trim but we'll see tomorrow.

The price does seem rather high to me too. I have been surfin Supra sites all after noon and it does seem £1500 to £2000 too much.

We shall see , if it has had a lot of work done recently with bills to prove, new tyres (decent quality), maybe a new exhaust, new brake disc's/pads it may not seem to bad.

I believe the Cambelt replacement interval is 90000kms (55000miles) is this correct? The car has done 67000miles so I will be wanting proof that it has been done.

They tell me that the car will be serviced and has a 12 month warranty on all mechanical parts, anyway we shall see, thanks again for the info.

Originally posted by MrAngry

Yep the wood effect dash is a factory job...

Is that true ? I never knew.

It would kind of explain why there are so many wooden dashes though.

Many people have sorted their dashes out with a respray, as the stock finish is not that durable.

I replaced all of my (supras) dash panels with new ones from toyota, cost 3 hundred or so.

i bought my sup about 4 months ago and was suprised when i got in and found it had wood trim dash.

As for the price of the car mate i think that it is touch steep, i bought my L plate with 40k miles on, full history in jap as well (cant understand any of it) i have the gold badges, cruise control and passanger air bag and it cost me £6k - but i dont have 18" rims :(

Joy of it is that the wood effect peels off back to plastic unlike the standard icky rubber cack on the rest which is a major PITA to get off. So if you want to respray the dash panels in a custom colour the wood effect ones are the best to start off with. £9k seems a lot but take into account its coming from a trader so there is trade in options and room for manoeuvre on the price, plus if its any way reputable a dealer some sort of warranty will come with it. Also the plate is a private one which seems to have been left with the car. Its got nice after market alloys, folding mirrors and OEM side skirts does that mean its a GZ? Nice enough aftermarket stereo, immobiliser all add ons that cost moolah. If the miles are good service history is comprehensive and paintwork is immaculate, and you have a trade in and are firm in negotiation you should get a good deal there.

Guys on here are always complaining that supra prices are dropping too fast and then pipe up "thats too expensive" every time an out of BBS car is advertised but "thats too cheap" every time a BBS car is advertised lol. You can't have it both ways lol.

Fred, sorry, misread your 1st post regarding price, so ignore my last post....DOH

It still seems a bit high price wise, but for a dealer it's about right.........as Dangerous says, hopefully you can negotiate the price down a little.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

:thumbs:

Thanks for all the info, it all helps.

I had a look at the car this morning, not to buy just to look (I left my wallet at home).:cool:

Anyway the paintwork was not as nice as i hoped, there was some corrosion around the rear wheel arches , paint bubbles, which needs attention. Thje whole car needs t-cutting really.

New tyres all round 235/40 and 265/35 Ventus. The wheels are MVK's. I don't recognise the name myself they were in good nick apart from the front nearside.

Under the bonnet it is all as it left the factory, untouched.

The exhaust looks well ropey, possibly all original? It looks like it is about to fall off.

Interior was very good, leather in the rear , cloth front seats all in very good condition.

The front headlamps were very grubby the plastic lenses were almost yellow and practically opaque. Is it possible to polish them back up or would they need to be replaced?

I have arranged to go back tomorrow and have another look with a test drive. The salesman thinks we can work something out. I'll let you know. Again thanks for your help.

no need to buy new headlights as this is a common problem. If you do a serach there is a more detailed guide of how to sort them out - it involves putting them in the oven for a bit. when i get chance i will do mine as the drivers side on mine has gone slightly yellow.

I have some small places were the lacquer has come off, round the brake light in the boot lid, round the ariel and by the door handle. Its not much just small bits. As for the rust / paint bubbling i dont have any on mine. Id tell him that id want it all repaied if i was going to splash out that much cash on the car

I personally would keep looking mate plenty more out there

:gallery:

I'd have to agree. The car isn't brilliant for the money then. As I said before it all depends on trade in and all the other aspects of dealer stuff really. It might be cosmetic stuff but really a car that doesn't look a million dollars at that age hasn't had a million dollars worth of love lavished upon it. The paintwork on mine is ropy as a bag of ropes (its got a huge key mark down the passenger side) but apart from close up it looks like a gleaming brand new car despite its 11 years age. Any car that has had attention all its life will show it. Cars with "hanging off exhausts" have not been looked after. I would never sell a car with its exhaust hangin off I would be embarassed.

Hi Fred,

That car seems very expensive for what it is. As others have said, you could have a TT for that much.

from the web site

TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 3dr Auto , 3 Doors, Automatic, Coupe, 1994 M Reg , Black. 18" Alloys, Automatic Transmission, Clock, Electric door mirrors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Electric Seats, Front electric windows, Immobiliser, Sports Design Upholstery. 6 Disc cD player and Mask Cd Stereo Kenwood system, Privacy rear windows, Rear Spoilers, Wood Look Trim, £8,995

'Clock'? Major selling point, eh? By the way, only the drivers seat is electricallt operated.

Originally posted by fredm

Interior was very good, leather in the rear , cloth front seats

You sure the rear seats were leather? Most Supras with cloth front seats have vinyl rear seats.

Originally posted by Scooter

My advice is.................. go private.

right now there's a Black 98 non turbo for £8800

and a great looking 96 White, standard bodykit, full black leather, 18" alloy'd, Aerotop for £8995.

Both facelift cars and far better vfm IMO

look around, where's the rush!:)

Scooter dood you really are king of finding bargain aerotops mate ;)

Hi guys thanks for the advice regarding the car I looked at on Sunday.

Went again this morning and after 5 minutes decided it was not the car for me.

The salesman says " How about this Twin Turbo that arrived yesterday afternoon?".

To cut a long story short I bought the thing. Yep , I can't quite believe it myself.

It is a U.K. Spec 94 auto, red, £10995. Sounds pricey but let me explain.

It is in V.G.C. with a full service history every 6000 miles sometimes sooner. It has had a load of work done recently,4 new tyres, new exhaust (from cat back). 3 months warranty, 12 months M.O.T.

The paint is excellent, so is the full Tan leather interior. It has heated seats, climate control in fact I think it has every option in the book.

It has 80000 miles the engine is as quiet as a church mouse without a hint of smoke from the tail pipe.

3 owners from new I think, the last owner bought it for his wife as a run around, she has put 3000 miles on it since April 2001 !!!

It drives as nice as my old 325 Coupe sport (2001) and corners even flatter and accelerates like the car equivilent of my Hayabusa.

I think we are going to get along nicely.