The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dodgy thermostat??

black_widow87

Took my car for a for a good 15-20 mile drive the other day and when i got back home i did my usual under bonnet checks to make sure eveything was ok, however I noticed that my bottom rad hose is stone cold. It was a freezing cold night but surely the thermostat would of opened after that length of driving? Following day I checked to see if the rad was blocked by squeezing the bottom hose with rad cap off, rad wasnt blocked. Just wondered what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Did you notice your temps going high? I'm surprised that the thermostat wasn't open after that distance but I guess stranger things have happened.

A simple check is to let your car idle up to temperature and see what happens. As there is no airflow going through the bay it would show signs of overheating pretty quickly.

I had a new thermostat not too long ago, probably about 10-12 months ago. My expansion tank is rising when warm as it should, will this mean my rad cap is working normally?

I'd pop the stat out and check it in boiling water.

The cap is working if the coolant tank is filling as it heats up.

Don't worry! The bottom hose is the outlet of the radiator and if the radiator is working efficiently, the water should be close to ambient temperature - certainly when the engine is not operating at rated load for extended periods of time.

I once put a temperature sensor in my lower rad hose to understand the behaviour of the water temperature at that point; it was possibly the most boring of measurements I've ever made! The reading never moved a bit.