The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some new parts fitted to the supra

Supra N_A

just fitted some front and rear upper strut bars :) it is a completley different car now specially with the new wheels on and beefy tyres it handles awesome! struggle to loose the back end now haha! BC coilovers should be here soon so that will be interesting as it will handle even better :eyebrows:

also fitted a genuine HKS SSQV with full fitting supra specific kit, sounds really sweet! cant wait for more boost so will sound even better!!

has any one ran no dumpvalve on a bpu set up??

Edited by Supra N_A (see edit history)

looks great

I'm running bpu with no bov. Any questions ask away :)

does it just flutter like mad?? thinking of mabys taking it of dunno thow.... when bpu your supra did you notice a nice difference as I have heard it makes it a beast lol?

^^^ got the hks of a member on here actually was a right bargain and new condition :)

just fitted some front and rear upper strut bars :) it is a completley different car now specially with the new wheels on and beefy tyres it handles awesome! struggle to loose the back end now haha!

That's probably down to your tyres and not the strut braces tbf. ;)

Mine does flutter a bit, nothing annoying though, been like it for a yr+ with no issues. I may get a bov one day but in no rush as I don't see the point. Nothing to gain but a pfffft.

My strut brace did make a lot of difference, wouldn't say it was a handling improvement as such but just felt 'tighter' especially over bumpy roads/potholes.

Sure it wasn't just in your head and you thought it felt tighter as you expected it to? ;)

Strut braces IMO do not offer any handling enhancement at all. The only bar I could see possibly making a slight bit of difference is the Trd as its a hefty peace but that's it.

Sure it wasn't just in your head and you thought it felt tighter as you expected it to? ;)

Strut braces IMO do not offer any handling enhancement at all. The only bar I could see possibly making a slight bit of difference is the Trd as its a hefty peace but that's it.

totally disagree fitting the rear and front bar has 100% made a difference

Mine does flutter a bit, nothing annoying though, been like it for a yr+ with no issues. I may get a bov one day but in no rush as I don't see the point. Nothing to gain but a pfffft.

My strut brace did make a lot of difference, wouldn't say it was a handling improvement as such but just felt 'tighter' especially over bumpy roads/potholes.

have you got any vids of it ??

Stock BOV is recommended for the VVTi mate. Stops the engine running rich due to MAF sensor I think.

really?? hmmm never heard that before.... what about when going bpu then surley you will have to run a dv or not?

just had a quick search so by the looks of it i need this in the bov

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HKS-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-SSQV-outlet-1-Recirculation-Adapter-/200656294411?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb80c120b

what does this actually do then??

tbh is this why the ssqv is not very loud?? will that make it louder?

Edited by Supra N_A (see edit history)

totally disagree fitting the rear and front bar has 100% made a difference

Got to agree with Martin here. You would be very surprised how much you can imagine a difference when there isn't one. I fitted a TRD strut and it felt no different at all, no more or less grip at any point in the drive. I took it off and put it on a few times to check, on the same road... nothing. It looks the part though.

Here's my take on it.

The MKIV doesn't use macpherson struts up front, instead it uses a double wishbone set up so the actual strut turrets are there merely to provide a face for the top mount of the shocker to bolt to.

The way I see it is that the major lateral forces would be transmitted into the lower cross member. The cross member has triangulated strengthening members linked to a smaller cross member behind the main one. Both cross members are bolted directly to the chassis legs so the support rigidity of the whole front suspension is provided by the front lower subframes.

I can tell you now that there's no way in hell a piece of ali which is of 3 piece, bolted design can stop a chassis from flexing. I have my doubts a complete one piece welded jobby like the TRD could prevent it either. The only way to physically stiffen the front end up with a form of brace would be to triangulate the strut tops with the bulk head and across each turret like this.

Again this is purely my view but I see strut braces as nothing but bling. You would get a greater and more noticeable improvement by fitting a stiffer front ARB.

Stock BOV is recommended for the VVTi mate. Stops the engine running rich due to MAF sensor I think.

I don't recall the VVTi TT's utilising MAF sensors. I know the VVTi NA lumps use them in the IS300 but I've never seen one on a J spec car.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Hi,

Can't say nothing about the TT as mine came with the cusco strut fitted!

But depending of the car it does make a difference,

on personal experience wheni bought & fitted one on my tomcat coupe (year ago) didn't really see difference at the time, took it of for a repair and didn't put it back for the 1st try; the car was nearly undrivable on cornering at speed. recovered my car when i put the bar back on.

nice pics m_life!