The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra automatic gearbox's

Guest johno johnson

Guest johno johnson

hi my fellow supra members iv'e just purchased my first supra after wanting one for years. i was just a bit curious because alot of my friends who have never owned a supra have said, oh why have you got an automatic i wouldn't have got an automatic why have you got an automatic they have nothing but problems with them so im now thinking why, has anybody got any feed back for me and any information on toyota supra automatic gear box's to set my mind at rest. i would be so grateful. thanks johno j:)

Your mates obviously don't know much if anything about mkiv supras with autoboxes

by the sound of it.

Its a brilliant box to drive with, mines done over 134,000 miles and never gone wrong.

Check your ATF fluid level and also the colour of the fluid, it should be a reddish colour, if

its not get it changed.

Hi Johno :)

As has been said, there's no inherent flaws / problems with the box. It's one of the best proper auto boxes going, even now IMO. it will also cope with over 400 lb/ft of torque, though many fit external coolers when going single.

Check th search function, there's loads of information and opinions on here :)

Hi Johno :)

As has been said, there's no inherent flaws / problems with the box. It's one of the best proper auto boxes going, even now IMO. it will also cope with over 400 lb/ft of torque, though many fit external coolers when going single.

Check th search function, there's loads of information and opinions on here :)

I have 555lb/ft of torque going through mine with a 12 row cooler and it's brilliant!

Well you can rest assure the auto box on the Supra is superb engineering master piece, even by today's standards. :)

I had one before my 6 speed, and I prefer my previous auto to be honest, such a lovely drive and brutal on kick down, yet still managing to remain a silky smooth gear change when I am poodling along in town. As mentioned as well they are very reliable, you don't hear many people complain about auto boxes going BOOM! Quite a few are close to 200,000 miles and still going strong!

Being mates with the Whifbitz chaps I've had plenty of experience of the 6-spd boxes. My preference has always been the auto though. It's the best auto I've ever driven (had approx 40 cars in the last 13yrs! Lol. 10 of those were probably auto's, and none were as smooth, reliable or as fun as the Supra IMO).

There really isn't much in it in terms of acceleration or responsiveness in my view, up to the 550HP you can safely handle with an auto (need an oil cooler for the box to keep the temps down once you go single) both are rapid, but for road use and traffic jams you can't beat the auto.

The other obvious point to mention is the manual cars cost a lot more. Granted they can handle more power (with uprated clutches that kill your calf!! ;)), but it comes at a price few can afford given the current economic climate.

Just ignore your mates & let them learn the hard way that your auto can still cream their manual Clio, Punto etc!! ;) ;)

My first Supra tt was an auto. I had no problems whatsoever with the gearbox. However, my preference is manual. I have been buying manual cars for the last 6-7 years almost exclusively.

Something I didn't mention in my own intro thread is that I used to own a 996 GT3. The reason I bring this up is to reassure you OP. Even when I had the GT3, I still longed for my old auto Supra tt from time to time. It has been a good car to me. And that's why I went and placed a deposit on another Supra tt recently. Enjoy your car and best of luck with it! Congratulations on buying the car you've been longing for for so long :D