The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK TT - Low milage

JamesC

How does e-bay work??

I mean people bid on something that they haven't even been to see in the flesh, the seller always puts thier own minimum price for a vehicle up as the 'reserve' so that means everyone that bids is paying 'over price' for the item?

As you can tell I'm not an 'ebay'er', just never understood how it all works.

I know that lots of people say you can pick up 'bargains' on ebay but the seller never puts anything up for auction that is under their asking price now do they?

Sprry to hijack this thread.... its not intended to be any sort of dig at the car that is being sold, I'm turely curious as to how ebay works and why so many people use it. (I'm probably well out of date by not using it myself but I've never trusted it).

Originally posted by AJI

How does e-bay work??

I mean people bid on something that they haven't even been to see in the flesh, the seller always puts thier own minimum price for a vehicle up as the 'reserve' so that means everyone that bids is paying 'over price' for the item?

As you can tell I'm not an 'ebay'er', just never understood how it all works.

I know that lots of people say you can pick up 'bargains' on ebay but the seller never puts anything up for auction that is under their asking price now do they?

Sprry to hijack this thread.... its not intended to be any sort of dig at the car that is being sold, I'm turely curious as to how ebay works and why so many people use it. (I'm probably well out of date by not using it myself but I've never trusted it).

I`ve bought 4 cars off EBay now. Although i know people that buy blind, i always go and look to see what i`m bidding on as many people tell some little white lies. I bought a GTti from Southampton off EBay. The lad knew what it was and that it was worth a fair whack. But i knew i was still getting it cheap and made a quick £1800 on that. Its a good place to find things that you would not normally be able to get hold off. I collect Daihatsu brochures and through EBay have bought them from Finland, Oz, US, Japan, Europe. I picked up a UK Supra brochure the other day. You have to be careful but i love some of the rare items i`ve been able to pick up. Never be scared of asking lots of questions to be sure of what you`re buying.

A mint TT 6-speed is worth well more than £8500.... why sell through ebay when if you put it for £12000 (say) on autotrader you could make the true value of the car?

or is the trick to put the reserve price at the price you really want to sell the car at?

As you can probably tell, I really not upto speed on how ebay works LOL !

aji that tt was mint i only had it in uk for 5 days and it sold a got an offer a made on ebay and a made profit so i was happy a could of waited to sell it and got more but, quick buck for me

there are different sellerd in ebay

here is a list feel free to add

scam artists

quick buck

huge profits

or someone who just wants to sell at a loss.

hope this does not confuse u, but avoid scam artists and buy off people looking to sell asap