The mkiv Supra Owners Club

nitrous users and insurance

dangerous brain

I am now getting very stuck

I have declared my nitrous fit on my N/A import and not 1 single insurance company will quote me at all.

Adrian Flux will cover the car if the bottle is removed from the car and thats the only company that will quote.

I know people on here have nitrous if they have it declared how have you managed to insure it?

Originally posted by dangerous brain

I am now getting very stuck

I have declared my nitrous fit on my N/A import and not 1 single insurance company will quote me at all.

Adrian Flux will cover the car if the bottle is removed from the car and thats the only company that will quote.

I know people on here have nitrous if they have it declared how have you managed to insure it?

Trade policy from tradex mate, imports and modifieds option

EDIT - to add, I don't even have to tell them. I could have a 1200hp monster and it wouldn't matter, so long as it was worth less than the policy.

Originally posted by stealthhosts

EDIT - to add, I don't even have to tell them. I could have a 1200hp monster and it wouldn't matter, so long as it was worth less than the policy.

what u mean worth less then policy?? i take it u mean max value of veichle u choose.

Can you PM me details of this. Thinking bout doing this so i can drive Dad's car and mum's etc...

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

what u mean worth less then policy?? i take it u mean max value of veichle u choose.

Can you PM me details of this. Thinking bout doing this so i can drive Dad's car and mum's etc...

It's simple. If you have a policy for £15k then you can have any number of vehicles at the registered address up to the value of the policy (£15k).

You can nominate extra drivers etc if you want other people to be able to drive the cars (this is where you can save your money really), If you have 2/3 cars at home, you get one traders policy, 1 or 2 extra nominated drivers, split the cost three ways (if using two add. drivers) and then all three people can drive all three cars.

It's not a solve-all policy though, make sure you fully understand the conditions as it isn't the same as a retail consumer policy. Read through their site and talk to them. remember that you "sell cars from home" though, it is a TRADERS policy after all :)

Just call them, explain that you sell the odd car per year, you do it as a second job, it isn't a full time interest etc, they have no desire to see your "accounts", explain that it is more of a hobby than anything else.

That's all i did, they were perfectly understanding.

If you explain your situation semi-truthfully then they will give you an honest opinion about whether they can help you or not.

It's not lying, it's just not telling the full story :)

Even Tradex are wary of Nitrous. I basically told them I intend to fit nitrous to peoples cars and need to be able to test them meaning I have to drive the cars to a rolling road with these kits fitted. They came back and told me they were going to have to refer it to the senior underwriters on Monday so I will let you know. Even if they won't cover me with nitrous I am going to take the policy anyway as with the amount of vehicles I have I make an overall saving of over £700 by insuring them on a joint trade policy than I do insuring them individually.

Trade policy with various bits and bobs on it works out at £1260 but again barge pole and nitrous won't touch it. In effect it is illegal to drive on the road with nitrous in use as no-one will insure you trade policies included. The only thing I have managed to find is Adrian Flux that will insure the car with the bottle physically disconnected, the rest of the kit can stay in. All other and I mean all other companies wanted the entire kit removed to cover me.. So I went with Adrian Flux at £768

I phoned Tradex to find out about insuring the Volvo and Supra, basically for £26k cover on customers cars, and 5k personal cover its £1300 for the year. So I will keep the Volvo in my name as my personal car, and the Supra I will put in my Dads name, that way if it gets written off, its not my car, as my personal cover is only to £5k, so it will be covered under the customer policy of up to £26K.

It annoyes me that insurance companies wont touch N2o, as realistically blowers are more dangerous and powerfull then N2o.

Brian you should not have mentioned NOS to them , if the policy doesnt exclude it then you are fine , for example the Tradex policy will actually have written no M'cycles (unless you ask for them) , its not your problem if the policy doesnt actually exclude n2o , you dont have to declare any other mods on the trade policy so why n20 ????, you should have put down as offering a tuning service for jap performance cars , its only the same as LPG a liquid that turns to gas when its injected !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Yeah I know what ya mean dude. in this case it appears that a little dishonesty is the best policy;) That said its not dishonesty as such just not being 100% honest. Next year when my insurance is up on my other 2 cars and her bike I will use tradex and just not say anything about the N2O That said in another year the muppets might have realised that N2O isn't some sort of crash inducing mod :(

Part ex on it would cripple me mate. i just don't have a spare 4 grand to shell out right now or i would have it.:(

You bastard i just had to phone him and ask about it. i am gonna go look at it on thursday now. If I like it I will buy it I know I will. All I have to do then is swap my interior across, and the brakes, and the nitrous (hell if I am leaving that in there) and the sound system, and the exhaust, and the side skirts, Gah balls thats a lot of work for me now..

Scooter its all your fault he he.

Oh then I will have to try and sell my motor :(

Its a nice car DB , i know stuart well and he only buys the best cars , you will be MUCH better off with that one and selling yours , that is soooo cheap for a nice Aerotop TT , seriously dude got get it and sell yours , oh and put the n2o on the TT ;)

Dude:flame Dev