The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for some suggestions please.

Si_s Supe

Just about to start refurb'ing my UK spec calipers as they're looking a bit shabby. They're split in half and all pistons removed and got new seals, boots and transfer seals coming from CW. Also got some fresh decals to go on.

Looking for suggestions on colour / paint to use!? I'm thinking satin black then decals on and then over the top with a satin lacquer to seal them up? I've painted calipers before using normal satin paint from Halfrauds with good results as the calipers don't get TOO hot to warrant heat resistant paint. Is this the case with UKs??

How much did it cost for powder coating? Why did you put brembo stickers on may I ask???

Josh, that's answered my question for normal paint on these calipers then! They obviously get hotter than the 4 pot 200sx brakes I did. Looks like high temp paint FTW then. In which case, I'd consider metallic black which is actually more of a dark gunmetal colour then a stain lacquer.

Why would Uks get hotter than jspecs? Mine are painted in hammerite(smooth) and always look clean and shiny :) One of my calipers seized on the way to and from japfest last year(300 miles) and the paint still looked as good as new, the discs on the other hand didn't.

How much did it cost for powder coating? Why did you put brembo stickers on may I ask???

Josh, that's answered my question for normal paint on these calipers then! They obviously get hotter than the 4 pot 200sx brakes I did. Looks like high temp paint FTW then. In which case, I'd consider metallic black which is actually more of a dark gunmetal colour then a stain lacquer.

I asked the chap at the local parts shop if he had any high temp paint and he said not to bother, normal paint would be fine.

I'm confused now' date=' I thought it melted?? :blink:[/quote']

Not from heat. On a test patch I did on a sheet of metal, when I put the lacquer on, the paint went soft. Although the parts where I'd sprayed the lacquer and left it over night were fine.

Sorry for the confusion :)

Why would Uks get hotter than jspecs? Mine are painted in hammerite(smooth) and always look clean and shiny :) One of my calipers seized on the way to and from japfest last year(300 miles) and the paint still looked as good as new, the discs on the other hand didn't.

Uk spec is alloy vs cast alloy soaks more heat dunno if there is a problem. I used 2 componet when i painted mine

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.735428,11.940319

Brembo stickers on stock calipers :thumbdown:

Heres a pair i did in powdercoat

If you've got them stripped get them chemi dipped and smooth off all the casting

marks, i then fine media blasted these and then Ibrar powdercoated them for me

after i'd cleaned them meticulously and refitted the two halves back together and

masked of the piston bores.

calipers 005.jpg

calipers 008.jpg

calipers009 (6).jpg

img1384i.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Wow, they look great. Unfortunately, I don't think my budget is going to stretch to powder coating at the moment though. I like the idea of the chemi dip though as I had some seized brake pins and there is penetrating oil everywhere. Is it ok to get the chemicals in the piston bores?? Also, if they're blasted, how do you stop it getting inside the calipers? Surely tile blast masking tape away?

Wow' date=' they look great. Unfortunately, I don't think my budget is going to stretch to powder coating at the moment though. I like the idea of the chemi dip though as I had some seized brake pins and there is penetrating oil everywhere. Is it ok to get the chemicals in the piston bores?? Also, if they're blasted, how do you stop it getting inside the calipers? Surely tile blast masking tape away?[/quote']

The masking tape is only on to stop the powder coat getting into the piston

bores and where the pads sit. This area around the piston bores was hand painted

with black high temp paint.

I media blasted them which doesn't do any damage to the piston bores, the piston bores are a

clearance fit on the pistons so its not an issue.

I wouldn't just hand them over to anyone to do this as you dont want them shot blast by someone

who just uses old tech steel ball shot.

Speak to Ibrar at Speedwells

They were washed out with brake cleaner and blown clean with an airline repeatedly to

make sure theres no grit or dirt etc in or on the calipers.

Then they were bolted back together and masked up as in the pic also using other bolts

to block off the threads for the bleed nipples etc

Chemically stripping them isnt a problem and im pretty sure they used phosphoric acid which

is neutralised with water.

calipers009 (1).jpg

calipers009 (4).jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Here are mine, they taped off the top of the pistons and fitted them back in to stop any sandblast going into the calipers and then acid dipped to a nice clean condtion.

They was then powdercoated to give them a long lasting finnish i hope.

New seal kit fitted and look new.

Im not keen on having the supra logo on the calipers and they just look bare with nothing on, so decided to get some brembo decals made and i think they look good, dont really care what anybody else thinks.

Edited by little num (see edit history)