The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newly Built Engine Value - What's it worth?

mwilkinson

Hi guys,

I am interested to know what you guys think this engine would be worth:

All work done by Whifbitz. This engine will be fresh from being made and not used. Mileage of engine prior to this 98,000miles, although the first 50K was in KM. There were no issues with the running of this engine prior to the build it has been done before going single turbo.

No pictures yet as the engine is still with Paul and I have a few of the parts to put on it too.

Block, rebored to 87mm, bore honed and plateaux honed.

New core plugs.

Block painted black

Mahle 87mm pistons

Manley H beam rods with ARP rod bolts

ARP Main bolts

ARP head bolts

New Toyota Oil Pump

New Toyota Water Pump

All new engine gaskets from toyota engine gasket kit

TRD Engine mounts

Balanced full assembly

Clevite, main, rod and thrust bearings

Whifbitz stage 2 head. "Whifbitz Stage 2 modified cylinder head. This consists of full port using stock valve guides, thinned recut valve seats, reshaped & refaced standard valves, modified short sides, surfaced, new valve stem seals, reshimmed and assembled ready to install. Require old head in exchange".

Ferrera dual springs and titanium retainers

Whifbitz 280 cams. "Garage Whifbitz 280 9.9mm lift camshaft for the 2JZ-GTE. Made in the UK by a well known and long established manufacturer to our own specs. Must be used with uprated valve springs, designed for maximum power/torque they are best suited to cars with a built engine to maximise the power band. More durations and lifts available very soon. Price is for a pair of camshafts".

Whifbitz cam pulleys in black

Gates racing timing belt

New Toyota timing belt tensioner

New Toyota timing belt pulley

Whifbitz billet cam pulley bracket

Polished cam covers with 12AN male fittings for breather system.

Whifbitz carbon plug cover

Gloss black plastic cam belt covers

Polished new auxiliary belt tensioner.

Titan Motorsports Crank Damper

Stock coil packs

Whifbitz stock oil cooler removal stud with Mocal thermostatic take off.

K&N filter

Polished water neck, with the two water take off for the turbos welded shut (same as Geo's car).

I built this to run around the 800 bhp mark but i'm sure it would be happy with more if properly installed and worn in.

All thought welcome. Thanks.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Hard to say, be worth a lot more if it had billet mains imo, mikeys is a similar sort of spec (has billet mains though) has done 1800miles and is up for 4k, been for sale a while though.

Yours is brand new though which is a bonus to any buyer, does whifbitz warrant there engine builds?

Sounds like a good build. As above, all that's missing is the billet mains.

I wouldn't have an idea on cost but I don't think you will get back what it's cost you unfortunately.

Have you changed your mind?

It sounds like my ideal engine to be honest, I'm looking to build one next year, but the timing is all wrong for me at the moment :(

Sounds like a good build. As above, all that's missing is the billet mains.

I wouldn't have an idea on cost but I don't think you will get back what it's cost you unfortunately.

Have you changed your mind?

It sounds like my ideal engine to be honest, I'm looking to build one next year, but the timing is all wrong for me at the moment :(

Not sure what my plans are to be honest. I'm getting to the point where I just can't continue to justify the expense. I'm just testing the water really.

I've never been silly enough to ever think I would make back a fraction of the money I have poured into it.

If I were in your shoes and I decided to sell I would probably look to recoup the cost of the parts. The reason I am saying this is the thing that would tempt me from building my own would be if I could have an engine already built for the same (or roughly similar) cost of buying all the components to do my own. There would be no cheaper way to get a freshly built engine and it would bring about a fair bit of interest I would have thought.

Of course I have no idea if that is enough for you to accept or whether you would need more from that, it's just what would tempt me away from doing my own build.

I don't see why it would not be under warranty if sold unused.

Billet mains would have been nice.

No offence to mikey but his engine had a bit of bad history with it. This one is thus far trouble free.

I wouldn't assume anything these days and unless you've got that in writing then i'd find out

and if you are going to sell i'd want some paperwork stating what the conditions etc are.

I've recently had a car painted by an insurance companies repairers and if i keep the car they

guarantee the work for 3 years but if i sell it that ends as soon as its sold.

If I were in your shoes and I decided to sell I would probably look to recoup the cost of the parts. The reason I am saying this is the thing that would tempt me from building my own would be if I could have an engine already built for the same (or roughly similar) cost of buying all the components to do my own. There would be no cheaper way to get a freshly built engine and it would bring about a fair bit of interest I would have thought.

Of course I have no idea if that is enough for you to accept or whether you would need more from that, it's just what would tempt me away from doing my own build.

Well I have just gone through the cost of parts on my engine and excluding all labour, the £900 for the work on the head, machine work on the block and loads of the miscellaneous parts like belts, filters etc...

The cost of the parts comes to £4,336.

I wouldn't assume anything these days and unless you've got that in writing then i'd find out

and if you are going to sell i'd want some paperwork stating what the conditions etc are.

I've recently had a car painted by an insurance companies repairers and if i keep the car they

guarantee the work for 3 years but if i sell it that ends as soon as its sold.

Your probably quite right there Dunk. I would have to discuss that with Paul.

Well I have just gone through the cost of parts on my engine and excluding all labour, the £900 for the work on the head, machine work on the block and loads of the miscellaneous parts like belts, filters etc...

The cost of the parts comes to £4,336.

That is the minimum I would be asking then as none of those parts have been used, they are all brand new, and the cost for the labour and machining is well known. Worth that at the absolute very minimum all day long for me.

The warranty would be the clincher, as long as the work has some sort of guarantee I think you would find a buyer no problem.

That is the minimum I would be asking then as none of those parts have been used, they are all brand new, and the cost for the labour and machining is well known. Worth that at the absolute very minimum all day long for me.

The warranty would be the clincher, as long as the work has some sort of guarantee I think you would find a buyer no problem.

I'm in agreement with you there. I was thinking £4500 as this is much more than just a rebuilt block, and it's a steal at this price you could easily add a couple of thousand on this if you paid for the labour and machine costs.

I will go have a chat with Paul.

I'm in agreement with you there. I was thinking £4500 as this is much more than just a rebuilt block, and it's a steal at this price you could easily add a couple of thousand on this if you paid for the labour and machine costs.

I will go have a chat with Paul.

Sounds a fair price to me.