The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo choice !?

dive_popo

Hi, I decided go Single, and as I'm a pretty new in the turbocharger world, I wanted to know what turbo do you recommend for street use, It only has to be:

-twin scroll

-T4

-good quality/price (and branded, dont wan't a ebay/chinese thing... or something for 3000 pounds)

-quick response (3400rpm to 4000rpm max!)

-between 500 and 600 HP (and not at very high boost)

I'll have the tubular manifold hand made by a good friend of mine, and it would be made to fit the Turbo, so I believe a lot of options on turbocharger choice ;)

Thanks !

Peter

P.S: If somebody has a used turbo I could use, at a good price please make me an offer ;)

Agree, you should have plenty of options.

I'm still running a T61DBB which is a perfect turbo for street use - not quite sure how one can improve the spool compared to these. Not to mention, mines going strong even after 36K miles of use....

Certainly makes sense to look at newer technology turbos though provided they have proven reliability.

imi

i can see why these threads pop up often because to the mortal man the turbo numbers means nothing until you have a good read up on turbos

I'm only asking as I'm a newbie in this turbo stuff, so wanted to have some opinion on what would be the good solution for what I am looking for ;)

i can see why these threads pop up often because to the mortal man the turbo numbers means nothing until you have a good read up on turbos

Me 2 a sticky would be good just to compare sizes between manufacturers. Iv got a garret gr35t which I know is a t61 from reading the site. Although where the 35 comes from i dont know.

Where the borg warners and things fit in I don't know ether!

I'm only asking as I'm a newbie in this turbo stuff, so wanted to have some opinion on what would be the good solution for what I am looking for ;)

Mate that wernt a knock at you i was exactly the same a couple of months back asking all sorts of question which where simple if you was single but i wernt and like i said all them number means nothing

Mate that wernt a knock at you i was exactly the same a couple of months back asking all sorts of question which where simple if you was single but i wernt and like i said all them number means nothing

yeah pretty difficult to find what the numbers mean... I don't even know what size of turbo is for what sort of power LOL

As already suggested, take a look at Whifbitz.

Paul has complete kits with everything you need including a proven manifold. You know all the stuff will work together and you will get access to all the experience of one of the best tuners out there.

Thanks I know If I had a bigger budget I would jump on it immediately ! The thing is that a friend of mine is working with exhausts, so he will be making my manifold, intake and exhaust and I'll get these almost for free ;)

And with what I'll spend I want to complete my fuel system ;)

I'm with Rob on this. Hold fire, save some more and get a complete Whifbitz kit. Saves piecing the kit together with possible additional costs around compatibility etc..

If you buy a new kit it has warranty and is all built to work together, you also have someone in the UK for warranty.

Thanks I know If I had a bigger budget I would jump on it immediately ! The thing is that a friend of mine is working with exhausts, so he will be making my manifold, intake and exhaust and I'll get these almost for free ;)

Another option - and what I would do - would be to buy a cast manifold and get your friend to fabricate the downpipe and intercooler piping to fit. A cast manifold would be perfect for your performance goals and would make a very responsive and reliable setup when combined with a GT35R/GTX35R.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=325&cat_key=52&prodname=Supra+2JZGTE+Turbo+Manifold