The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A to N/A turbo budget

seba

Hey guys i've been searching on the forum but can't find an average total price on the conversion. My mate asked me to search for a TT engine to switch with his N/A engine, but he is planning to replace both turbos for just one big one, seems kind of silly to me or am i wrong? I know that total prices of the conversion variate a lot but what kind of budget should he think of to get everything to fit a turbo on his n/a? He is the mechanic here not me so i'm clueless, but he can do everything himself he says but has no idea about prices. So labourhours don't need to be included.

I saw a lot of you complaining in the past about going way over your planned budget.

It doesn't sound cheap, but it's not silly either. The TT engine should easier to fit a reliable big-power single turbo to. I think JustGav did that to an NA, several years ago.

I don't have many numbers to hand, but the cost should be (cost of TT engine) + (cost of capable gearbox and supporting mods (e.g. is the car an NA auto currently?), probably V160/V161) + (cost of a TT going single) - (sale price of TT parts no longer needed from the TT engine).

He first wants to know what is cheaper, buying a tt engine and convert that one to single turbo, or put a turbo on his N/A engine. My guess is the last option but i've never looked into this so not sure. Surely someone knows this.

His supra is a N/A auto atm, but he has a manual gearbox allready to install. (edit==> this is a stock 5sp)

Edited by seba (see edit history)

Guest neo9918

He would probably be better buying a tt car in full, then going with the single route if he wants more than 400 bhp. It would be very expensive to do all the conversions with the engine and gearbox on his na. Also banging a turbo on an na generally produces bpu(ish) power levels, so surely a tt is the way to go.

Alternatively just buy a single turbo car from someone on here! Theres some bargains going at the moment

Going single on a TT or going NA-T will normally bring extra costs that you don't budget for.

The cost of a TT engine if it all goes wrong is a big difference to the NA engine replacement cost.

Swapping an NA to TT, then going single, then upgrading transmission, isn't worth the cost IMO. If he has that much free money buy an auto TT and go single. Shouldn't ever buy an NA with the plan for huge power as the compression is wrong, pistons need replacing and so will the transmission. Too much hassle going NA.

Thx for the replies guys. I just talked to him and he said he would be happy with 400 hp...so going single would be a bit of a drastic measure i think. A bpu TT lump should be the best solution for him or not? Would his w58 hold 400 hp? And what about the stock autobox is that any good for higher power?

Sorry for the confusion he said he wanted a single turbo and big power so i assumed he was aiming for 500+hp

If he goes NA-t and runs 8-9psi it will be damm close to 400bhp most NA-t's running stock block and compression on 7psi normally hit the 375bhp mark. If he is just wanting to go a budget conversion he could probs do it at a cost of £1400-1500.

It cost me around the £2500 mark but I bought quite a few expencive branded items. There was a guy on here I was speaking to at the BDC and he said he got everything second hand for his conversion and managed to get it done at an amazing cost of £500 if I remember right. ;)

If he goes NA-t and runs 8-9psi it will be damm close to 400bhp most NA-t's running stock block and compression on 7psi normally hit the 375bhp mark. If he is just wanting to go a budget conversion he could probs do it at a cost of £1400-1500.

It cost me around the £2500 mark but I bought quite a few expencive branded items. There was a guy on here I was speaking to at the BDC and he said he got everything second hand for his conversion and managed to get it done at an amazing cost of £500 if I remember right. ;)

If he only wants 400 hp then put a BPU TT lump in and lose the ugly NA lump and it will still be cheaper than doing a very cheap shody unreleliable single conversion on an NA.