The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift v pre-facelift ignition panel and steering column surround

jim

Two (big) lads tried to nick the car at half ten this morning in Belfast, they were disturbed first by a passing stranger who knew what I looked like and knew it wasn't me in the car - he tried to get a pic of them on his phone but it didn't come out, they spotted him so he did a runner. Some guys from my work spotted them looking suspicious and went out (six of them armed with snow shovels lol) at which point they got out of my car and ran off up a side street to a waiting car. They dropped a phone along the way which I gave to the police.

Pics of damage below, they smashed the passenger window to get in and had a go at hot-wiring it, a minute or two more and they'd probably have been away with it, so I'm counting my blessings.

CSI came but there were no prints, the phone's not much use but the business across the road reckon they might have them on cctv. To top it all, they came back (I'm 99% sure it was them) to look for the phone they'd dropped - I said to the police (who were still there with me taking statements) that they looked sus so they went to talk to them, and said when they came back that they had lifted them in the past for car theft...brass neck!

I'm going to get a window tonight from a fellow member (cheers Neil) and going to fit it tomorrow. Another mate's hopefully having a look at the wires at the weekend to see what's what there.

Glass is half full...they didn't get the car and when it's all cleaned up it's really only a window and hopefully the plastic bits will be cheap, I'll give Keron a shout when I know exactly what I need and what can be salvaged. I suspect they thought the fog light switch was an immobiliser as that was ripped out and I think they're the wires that have been pulled the worst, but will know more after my mate's had a look at it. Nobody died and I got the day off work. Could have been much worse.

What I need to know is if the ignition panel and steering column surround are the same on a facelift as a pre-facelift. Anyone know for sure? Ta

Cheers guys, my work colleagues were brilliant, as was the passing stranger, if it hadn't been for them I suspect I'd have been poking through a smoking shell to see what I could salvage. Belfast is hectic for joyriders, a few hours fun and then they burn it out.

Glass is sorted and will be in tomorrow, they didn't break the steering lock and it's driving fine. Might take the opportunity and get the dash panels flocked.

I've a disc lock that I hadn't put on (I was running late this morning) so lesson learned, I'm also going to see about a kill switch.

Good excuse to get wasted tonight too ;)

Unlucky matey, You should really think about getting a alarm though. Like one of those dual zone proximity sensor ones that beep when someone gets too close.

Actually there's a nice one in the sale section. Get it installed by a insurance approved pro. Damn scrotes, there everywhere these days :(