The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my TRD Bonnet genuine or a replica?

Kilps

If this has been done before please excuse me and point me towards the relevant thread. However I haven't found a definitive answer to this question so here goes...

I bought my Supra with a TRD bonnet fitted, which I was told was genuine. I had no idea if this was the case or not at the time and I am still none the wiser. How do I tell if it is genuine or not?

I can tell you a little about it and answer questions as they come. It isn't fibreglass, it's metal it's FRP. It has the rain trays below the vents, although they don't catch anything, just direct it elsewhere. It has silver mesh in the vents, although I have read that the mesh wasn't originally supplied anyway so this may not be an indicator.

I don't want it, I want to change it for a standard bonnet. Whichever way this thread goes, either genuine or replica, how much is it likely to be worth?

There are some pictures in this thread from when it was new. I'll get more useful pictures up as soon as I can.

Edited by Kilps (see edit history)

If this has been done before please excuse me and point me towards the relevant thread. However I haven't found a definitive answer to this question so here goes...

I bought my Supra with a TRD bonnet fitted, which I was told was genuine. I had no idea if this was the case or not at the time and I am still none the wiser. How do I tell if it is genuine or not?

I can tell you a little about it and answer questions as they come. It isn't fibreglass, it's metal. It has the rain trays below the vents, although they don't catch anything, just direct it elsewhere. It has silver mesh in the vents, although I have read that the mesh wasn't originally supplied anyway so this may not be an indicator.

I don't want it, I want to change it for a standard bonnet. Whichever way this thread goes, either genuine or replica, how much is it likely to be worth?

There are some pictures in this thread from when it was new. I'll get more useful pictures up as soon as I can.

This is mine remember :D.

Guest JohnSupra1

I think your is genuine as along is Carbon fibre .

Obviously might be worth £350 (depend condition). Knight Racer sell more than £600 brand new i reckon.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies people :)

This is mine remember :D.

I thought you'd chirp up! :D You haven't been forgotten :) It probably won't be more than a couple of months before I'm back up north so I might be able to sort it out then.

I think your is genuine as along is Carbon fibre .

Obviously might be worth £350 (depend condition). Knight Racer sell more than £600 brand new i reckon.

It's not carbon fibre as far as I know... although it's painted so it could be. I don't think it's light enough for carbon or fibreglass though.

I remember your car when it was fresh in from Japan and it was already fitted so could be genuine especially as it is metal as most copies are CF or GRP ones

You do? This is exciting news! You realise you just opened yourself up for a million more random questions right? I'll PM you shortly!

Annnd what's GRP?

The Aero bonnet hood is FRP not Metal (Fibre-reinforced plastic);consists of fiberglass, carbon, aramid, hybrid or other fabric reinforced plastic

**All products are finished with an FRP white gel coat.

Mine is FRP but it has the same characterisitics as Metal, if it is frosty out or a cold mist (cold to touch, condenstaion etc) but very similar though. Maybe have a look again, knock on it , you should hear a more hollow noise than a Tin noise versus metal; if yours is Metal I presume it is Heavy?

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_aero-supra.html

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Ta everyone... I pretty much only assumed it was metal because I've never been told otherwise and it's not light enough for carbon or fibreglass (although this again is a guess as I've never felt the weight of either!). I guess it's FRP then.

Jellybean, the underside of mine looks much the same.

Lee, I totally agree! The TRDs are nice on the right Supra, but not what I want on mine. And yeah, give us a shout if you fancy popping over... especially if it's a nice day, there will always be things to do to the car!!

Edited by Kilps (see edit history)

You do? This is exciting news! You realise you just opened yourself up for a million more random questions right? I'll PM you shortly!

And what's GRP?

I think when medal is referred to it is more likely to be alloy or aluminium framed with a FRP skin like the TRD body kit. I have a few pics of your car nut not much info I'm afraid, feel free to ask anyway! GRP is glass reinforced plastic but probably should have said FRP which is Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic which I think could actually be the same thing

Edited by Tee from China (see edit history)