The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which gearbox oil?

marc_p

Tried doing a search on this but it brought back too many results.

Basically I want to replace the gearbox oil on the V161 and Diff, I know a lot of people use Royal Purple so is the below ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Purple-Synchromax-Gear-Oil-/230654808063?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item35b4190fff

Also how much do I need and what would you recommend for the diff oil?

Thanks

Marc

Capacity of the gearbox is 1.8L dry and the oil in your link is fine :thumbs:

Diff Oil Capacity is 1.5L thereabouts.

Use:

75w90 - Motul Gear 300 or Silkolene Syn5

That's great, cheers Dan, car is having a mahoosive overhaul ready for Japfest and Dragonball :D

Nice, i'm planning on doing mine soon once this bloody mini is up and running lol. What else are you changing? I've got Engine oil/Filters plugs etc to go in when i get round too it, and i'm having the speaker wire all replaced next month with better grade wire for my new headunit and speakers :)

Nice, i'm planning on doing mine soon once this bloody mini is up and running lol. What else are you changing? I've got Engine oil/Filters plugs etc to go in when i get round too it, and i'm having the speaker wire all replaced next month with better grade wire for my new headunit and speakers :)

The parts I have sat here so far to go on:

Meister R coilovers

RPS Lightened flywheel

RPS uprated clutch

TRD braided clutch line

TRD gearbox mount

TRD Engine mounts

Braided brakelines

Gearbox selector seal

Rear gearbox seal

Greddy eManage

New tires

Also I'm having the wheels refurbed next week along with replacing the gearbox oil and having the rear arches rolled(already did cambelt, aux belt cam seals, valve stem seals, cam cover seals, sparkplugs and oil filter)

Then hopefully to get purchased in time is:

R2 Racing bushes front and back

R2 Steering rack bushes

Get tracking done and have the coilovers properly set up.

Ridox carbon side skirts

Top secret diffuser

So not much to go:d

Neither of the oils mentioned are suitable for the V161, it needs an ATF even though it's a manual. Due to the gearbox specs I would go for either the Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Fuchs ATF4400 or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII. Getrag gearboxes always use something thinner than a standard gear oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-442-atfs.aspx

We had some RP oils tested and weren't as impressed by them as the RP marketing is.

Cheers

Tim

Tried doing a search on this but it brought back too many results.

Basically I want to replace the gearbox oil on the V161 and Diff, I know a lot of people use Royal Purple so is the below ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Purple-Synchromax-Gear-Oil-/230654808063?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item35b4190fff

Also how much do I need and what would you recommend for the diff oil?

Thanks

Marc

Is there any reason you don't want to use the OEM Toyota oil?

Is there any reason you don't want to use the OEM Toyota oil?

£££ I suspect :p

I didn't know there was OEM oil available, I assumed they would just be using some other oil that's available elsewhere.

Is it available any dealer or is there a website I can get it from?

Also, is it the best as OEM approved oil is not always the best for your gearbox which is why I posted this here and why I find Oilmans response interesting.

I didn't know there was OEM oil available, I assumed they would just be using some other oil that's available elsewhere.

Also, is it the best as OEM approved oil is not always the best for your gearbox which is why I posted this here and why I find Oilmans response interesting.

Yeah, it's called V160 Oil and it's been discontinued AFAIK. Whifbitz still sell it on their website :)

Royal purple is run by the majority of cars with getrag boxes in the states, not just supras. thats a huge amount of people that run with royal purple and are extremely pleased with it.

Tim,

Just interested as to what the advantage other oils have over it

With the oils we had tested, we found high sulphur levels. At higher temps the sulphur can break down and produce acidic compounds - not what you want around the metals of your engine and gearbox. In the US, their attitude to oils is usually quite different to the rest of the world - they tend to use basic oils and change them often. Although the RP isn't a basic oil, they probably change it more often than you'd want to, but it doesn't matter to them as much as the RP is so much cheaper over there. Changing often would prevent the build up of higher levels of acidic compounds.

The oils I listed do not have the high levels of sulphur and I see that as an advantage over the RP oils we had tested.

Cheers

Tim

Whifbitz stock it and you can still get it from Japan too if you want Jurgen to bring it over in his container.