The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3.0 na gearbox onto 1jz?

jonny mac

hi folks, is it possible to buy a 3.0 non turbo mkiv supra and fit a 1jz with the manual 3.0 na box?? i've not read up about them yet so i'm unsure, just wondering.

also will a tt supra loom work with a 1jz engine? i'd suppose not since the tt supra 2jz will have vvt??

cheers

Guest Roger NE

I'm pretty sure the W58 gearbox with the Mk4 Bellhousing will bolt straight onto the 1JZ-GTE . . . But I think it uses a pull clutch, not a push one, so don't know how that affects things. Also bear in mind that the 1JZ-GTE was normally mated up to the R154 gearbox, which is much stronger than the W58, so don't know how long it would last.

Not all 2JZ-GTEs have VVT by any means . . . but although the 2JZ is similar I'm not sure if the loom and/or the ECU will work on a 1JZ

The W58's life is dependent on condition before having many more horses trample through it than Mr T expected, a decent clutch and flywheel should help.

I know of a few people pushing 400 bhp through the w58 and so far so good, though they make sure not to rag it off the line and hard changes.

Little Num drives hard, hence the dead boxes, i think third gear is the usually the first to die?

Either way, drive it how you want until it spectacularly explodes, make sure you get a video though!