The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam Belt setup help.

carlmhtt

I have setup my cambelt by checking that No1 Cylinder is a TDC. The marks on the cam wheels are both pointing at the marks on the cam case.

However, the mark on the bottom crank wheel (the wheel behind the main pulley) although aligned when I position it, seems to move out by a cambelt tooth every time I fit the belt on.

I have tried this three times and the same thing happens every time. (see pics)

Is this normal or should they be smack on both crank gear & cams?

With cambelt fitted I rotate the crankshaft twice to get the camwheel marks 1 revolution back to there original marks etc.

Carl

Edited by carlmhtt (see edit history)

should be spot on the marks, make sure ALL the slack on the timing belt is towards the idler pulley side before you pull the tensioner pin on the hydraulic tensioner.

Is there a way of locking the bottom crank cog so that it cannot move during fitting the belt?

should be spot on the marks, make sure ALL the slack on the timing belt is towards the idler pulley side before you pull the tensioner pin on the hydraulic tensioner.

Yeah you're fitting it with one tooth too many on the tight side between the intake pulley and the crank.

All the pulleys look out in the pic, make sure all the slack is on the tensioner side, if you are careful and the belt seems really tight going on you can edge the crank back a smidge so it pulls the belt tight as you put it back on tdc. Remember the cam pulley marks are not exactly the most accurate I have ever seen.

All the pulleys look out in the pic, make sure all the slack is on the tensioner side, if you are careful and the belt seems really tight going on you can edge the crank back a smidge so it pulls the belt tight as you put it back on tdc. Remember the cam pulley marks are not exactly the most accurate I have ever seen.

The cam pulleys were spot on but I turned the crank to align it to the 0 hence they both look slightly out in the second picture.

Once I re-align the crank pulley all should be right.

The belt will be quite tight to go on dude, if you put it completley on the top pulleys it will be very hard to get on the crank pulley, you sort of edge it on all the pulleys a bit at a time, if its still tight to get on the crank pulley you can turn that back a tiny bit , slip the belt on and turn it back so the marks line up, it should not be turned enough to move the top pulleys at all.