The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many would be interested in PROPER coilover suspension

dude

As it says in the title, how many of you guys would be interested in having proper coilover suspension on your cars?? I have a guy who makes lovely stuff interested in developing it so it handles and drives nice, best bit is they are local to me and can offer a rebuild on the units at £100 per unit if they ever need it. This is PROPER suspension not a cheap coilover like BC etc. If he can see interest he is willing to develop a nice set of shocks. Options would be available on top IE double adjustable, spherical mounts etc. Price would be circa £1500 but less if we could sell a few sets in a group buy, my car would be available to be driven as a test bed by andy potential customers.

I want a nice set of suspension that's nice and comfortable to drive. On a road car, that isn't thrashed arround roundabouts or on a track.

Im fed up of crashing through bumps and bouncing over potholes. My current coilovers give me 0 confidence to put the power Down I keep thinking if I hit a bump I'll be backwards in a hedge.

But I guess these would be aimed at people wanting the best handling :)

I want a nice set of suspension that's nice and comfortable to drive. On a road car, that isn't thrashed arround roundabouts or on a track.

Im fed up of crashing through bumps and bouncing over potholes. My current coilovers give me 0 confidence to put the power Down I keep thinking if I hit a bump I'll be backwards in a hedge.

But I guess these would be aimed at people wanting the best handling :)

What have you got on now ?

I inherited the car with a set of hks coilovers. It was a track car project. And I'm sure they handle great but I want to use the car to get to work :)

The hsds on my old car were better but I still preferred the ride on my uk setup, and they had lowering springs on. Might see if chris Wilson can hook me up with something similar. But can't afford it at the

Mo.

I inherited the car with a set of hks coilovers. It was a track car project. And I'm sure they handle great but I want to use the car to get to work :)

The hsds on my old car were better but I still preferred the ride on my uk setup, and they had lowering springs on. Might see if chris Wilson can hook me up with something similar. But can't afford it at the

Mo.

I'd fit stock dampers and springs then if i were you

seprate ride height and spring preload adjustment, adjustable dampers with seprate bump and rebound settings would be ideal :D

Might be a bit ambitious for that price but i can hope.

I would say most people would want seprate ride and spring preload settings with bump and rebound adjustment together

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Spring rate isn't changed with the height adjustable suspension where it's the spring that's compressed anyway.... the spring rate is constant. The issue with the likes of the cheap teins etc is that the spring travel is limited, so when you raise the car to an acceptable level the spring has very little travel left. Throw softer springs into the mix and they will bottom out like mad making the ride crashy and rough.

From what I can tell the decent suspension on offer has really long springs, that is so that they can be a bit softer than the normal height adjustable coilovers while still having plenty of travel so that they don't bottom out. The springs on my HSDs are very stiff, as they are short, making for a good handling ride but not a very comfortable one. I would love the best of both worlds. KW suspension seems to have the perfect setup for the Supra but I would really love a try of them before I bought. If this guy can do what KW says they can do then they should sell like hotcakes.

If you could do something like this for the Supra? http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?512195-Apex-Limo-coilovers-for-the-S13-S14-S15-180SX-and-Silvia

I'm not sure but you might need to be logged in to see the photos.

I am pretty sure that Apex coil-overs are made in the same factory as BC, Apex actually market BC in the UK, i think Dude is looking to do somewhat better quality than that.

I am pretty sure that Apex coil-overs are made in the same factory as BC, Apex actually market BC in the UK, i think Dude is looking to do somewhat better quality than that.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post, I was referring more to the comfort aspect and the way Jonny W's feedback describes them.

We were specifcally discussing the 'merits' of BC when deciding everything a coilover should not be !!!!

We were specifcally discussing the 'merits' of BC when deciding everything a coilover should not be !!!!

I have used Tien, Apex and have BC on my Skyline, and i must admit although not great, they are not bad, however i think because the spring rates are for the 350Z and my Skyline is a bit more lardy, they feel a little better, IMO all of my list are either over stiff spring rate, or the damping range is not correct, i had Tien on my Supra and still found them lacking, i think the main problem with most coil-overs is down to bad spring/damping match, and mainly because the bump and rebound ratios are fixed.

Has anybody tried the Nitron Coilover's that Wiffbitz offer?

The advantage of the ones we would have built is the firm is local and offer a full back up service, full rebuild and even a dyno check on each shock for £20 to check performance. The problem with the cheaper end of the market is that the valving etc is just generic, not designed for a specific car and then mismatched to spring rate.