The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keeping the Supra cool.

little num

Ok as most of you will know i do alot of trackdays and drive my car hard.

Problem is after a good 5 - 6 laps of most tracks my engine temps are over 100 so i have to slow down to keep the engine temps down.

Now i dont like slowing down so was wondering what setup i could fit to allow me to keep going until i decide ive had enough.

I have an aftermarket all alloy rad with twin fan setup and turn them on as soon as i start the car, now both items are from ebay so dont expect them to be all that good quality.

So would people go back to stock rad with rad cowling and good viscous fan or even fixed viscous fan.

All idea's and peoples thoughts will be great.

The stock rad is copper IIRC so it would be far better than the alloy ones. Stock viscous fan is miles better than cheaper fan kits, the fan kits are only really to gain access to the bay really. It takes a very expensive kit to match that of the stock setup.

my oil temps are fine hardly go upto 100, as i have a 19 row with good ducting and airflow.

Its my water temps, problem is using the twin turbo setup i have turbo technics turbos and push them to 1.4 - 1.5 bar, they are water cooled so im guessing the turbo's are heating the water up so much the rad just cant cope.

People with single turbo and no water feed will always run lower water temps due to the turbo just being oil feed.

Im going to go back to a good Thick TT rad with cowling and might try fixing the vicsous fan so it rev to what ever the engine rev at, instead of always catching up.

my oil temps are fine hardly go upto 100, as i have a 19 row with good ducting and airflow.

Its my water temps, problem is using the twin turbo setup i have turbo technics turbos and push them to 1.4 - 1.5 bar, they are water cooled so im guessing the turbo's are heating the water up so much the rad just cant cope.

People with single turbo and no water feed will always run lower water temps due to the turbo just being oil feed.

Im going to go back to a good Thick TT rad with cowling and might try fixing the vicsous fan so it rev to what ever the engine rev at, instead of always catching up.

If your oil temps aren't going above 100 then you have a serious problem with your water cooling system somewhere. With the oil cooled correctly we've never had any problems with water temps. Try a decent branded radiator I would, we've always stuck with the viscous fan setup as well.

• 1 month later...

As a FYI, my car runs a T61 DBB and the water temps are normally around 87C.

No mate, i changed the rad to a newish thick toyota copper 1 with a mint viscous and cowling and my last trackday within 5 laps i was seeing over 100 degree's so my next plan of action is to redirect the water off the twins as i think its those that are boiling my system.

I intend to go single shortly anyways and will fit a none water cooled turbo.