The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Split Rim Refurb.

scunner

I have just bought a new set of alloys and was thinking about refurbing my old ones myself. They are a set of Rays split rims but Im a bit wary of taking them apart to repaint the centre pieces.

I know they simply unbolt from the rims however Im not sure if they require proper allignment when bolting them back together? With something as important as wheels Im not sure if I should leave it to someone who knows what their doing. Bit of a waste to mess them up.

I think you just need to make sure they're torqued properly and in the correct sequence. (not sure what the sequence is though, opposites I guess!?) also, you run the risk of breaking one or more of the bolts when undoing them. But then that's a risk if you or anyone else does it. Just go easy with it, and think how nice they'll look when finished!!

What rims are they bud? i have just started a refurb myself - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?261898-Neils-refurb-Volk-AV3-split-rims

They are 18" Rays Victrix, took me a while to track them down on the net to make sure they were Rays. Nice alloys, and I prefer them to the new ones I bought to be honest. Im really paranoid about snapping any of the allen bolts as Im pretty sure they wont be easy to come by to replace them. They have the same 6mm bolts around the rim, I gave them a try yesterday without soaking them and they seem to be solid. I think a good soak is in order!

What kind of paint stripper are you looking to use, Nitro-mors?

Phosphoric acid is the best to strip the wheels with but you you need to imerse the wheel in

it, its what the pros use at chemical strippers and is washed off with water which neutralises

its effect making it very safe to use.

If you can find a local stripper i'd recommend getting them to strip the wheels and its not

crazy expensive to do, possibly £10 per rim.

If your wheels are nut and bolted together and any snap their quite simple to replace, if they are

just bolted and snap then you will have to get the broken part out of the wheel which is not

that simple to do without damaging the threads.

A trip to a local engineering comp would fix it very easily and drill it out on a milling machine.

Lining them back up should be very straight forward and you'd basicly finger tight all the bolts/nuts

and then go round nipping them up in a criss cross pattern then approx 20 ft lbs of torque

to finish them off.

A drop of threadlock or similar is a good idea on each bolt

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Yep nitromors, best stuff really, have you checked if they are nutted on. the back instead of using the 6mm, mine wouldn't budge using the bolt on the front either.

They are bolted at the rears however the bolts look to have been either welded or soldered to the rim. Im hoping not welded as that is'nt going to make it any easier to remove them.

As little as 20 ft lbs? I'd of thought they would be tighter? I have also been reading that if the wheels are 3 piece its a nightmare to refurb them due to a silicon seal?

Do some checking but most are around that torque figure.

This will also vary if their a nut and bolt or threaded into the alloy.

3 piece arent that hard and getting them to seal if done correctly with the right sealer its fine :)

My 3 piece below when we did them at Ibrars

DSCF0461.JPG

DSCF0503.JPG

Do some checking but most are around that torque figure.

This will also vary if their a nut and bolt or threaded into the alloy.

3 piece arent that hard and getting them to seal if done correctly with the right sealer its fine :)

My 3 piece below when we did them at Ibrars

They look superb. How did u get them polished up so well?

That would definitely make a difference! Think I'll be relying on Autosol and a fair bit of elbow grease!

You'll need a lot of elbow grease ;)

Don't you have and decent polishing shops near you ? it shouldn't cost a lot to get just the outer lips

done like mine.