The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can someone explain the value and differences in types of COILOVERS pls?

SUPRA2012

Hi

I was planning to buy a second hand set of OE Bilsteins and lowering springs off Ebay, but missed the end of the auction......Now I am thinking why not buy something new or more useful.....How much of a difference would a set of coilovers make over say a set of standard shocks?....Its the handling im concerned with...I could forgo comfort for SUBSTANTIAL handling benefits.....I intend to use the car on track days....Also, is there much of a difference between say Tein, BC Racing, D2 Racing, Maxspeeding etc?....And am i right in thinking the lowering function is in-built automatically, or do i need to be concerened about spring rates? .........Im not sure how low I want the car to be, I just want great handling:)

cheers

Billy

Guest JohnSupra1

Yellow Blisteins Suspension is Coilover made by Factory. It a great fast road setup, well handling. I have them on my car.

I'm not sure about Aftermarket one as never tried before but i heard they were too stiff which is not comfortable, if i was you do some research here, plenty infomation there.

bilistiens are a great damper and probabley the best option for a road setup. The problem comes when fitting lowering srings to them as they usaually have a drop of 35mm front and 25mm rear. The rear drop is ok but the front is much to low and will cause the car to crash over bumps instead of soaking them up because there is hardly any movment left in the damper and will make the car feel nervous and twitchy on the road because the suspension can no longer handle the uneven surface.

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Depends on what you want to spend the 4 coilovers on my Subaru were over £4500 !!!! It handled quite well.

Hi, no way!!! Thats 3 times what the car cost me! lol.....If anything, I should probably sell this N/A and get a TT...but in the meantime, i dont mind chucking a couple of quid at it...I would go £500-£600 MAX on a suspension set up.....and I would be happy with a used set for a couple of ton...

Hi, no way!!! Thats 3 times what the car cost me! lol.....If anything, I should probably sell this N/A and get a TT...but in the meantime, i dont mind chucking a couple of quid at it...I would go £500-£600 MAX on a suspension set up.....and I would be happy with a used set for a couple of ton...

probably a wise things to do rather than spending 600+ on a suspension kit.