The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT UK spec v J spec

Guest eng622

Hello everyone my name is Melvyn and I am a new member. At present I drive a Fiat Coupe 20 Valve Turbo and am thinking of moving on to a Supra TT (also considering a BMW M3 evo but worried about potential VANOS failures). I have read as much as I can regarding UK spec v J spec but have some further questions I cannot find the answer to. I want to buy a late 95 or slightly newer auto and understand that the imports of these years have the larger discs fitted to the UK mode, so is this correct?

Is the gearing in mph/1000 rpm the same for UK and J spec and what are the values for each gear.

I want to look at simple/sensible modifications so is for example fitting a SS exhaust/decat one cat same for UK and J spec.

I think 400/450 BHP is more than enough for me. I have read that the UK injectors are 550cc whilst the J spec are only 440, so does the latter set a lower power limit?. I am really interested in torque figures as I would prefer a car that will accelerate faster than opposed to a higher top speed (not for me) and am attracted to the J spec ceramic turbos as I assume they will spool up quicker but are they up to mods required for the power range stated?

Sure to have more questions

Thanks, Melvyn

Re: bigger brakes, after the facelift there were 2 TT Jap models. The RZ was manual only and all had the big brakes. The RZ-S was manual or auto and didn't have the big brakes as standard, but they were an option. So if you buy a facelift auto it may or may not have the big brakes basically.