Car Importing from Japan: FINISHED???

Hy-Performance

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hy-Performance

Hi all,

I was speaking to a customer today and he said that all car importing from Japan has been stopped by the Government?!?!?

Even said that cars on ships in Southamptom have been turned round and sent back to Japan????!!!!!

Anyone heard anything???

Chris :cool:

Blimey:eek: If thats true then I'd be suprised. I know they tightened up the regs a while back but thats all I heard.

Would be good for the re-sale value if there were no more though...:)

There was a thread about this on the GTR board a couple of months ago. There's a new SVA test planned and basically if the car is modified then it has to be put back to stock for the test. The government have been very sneaky, kept it very quiet although it was on the DVLA page but unless you went looking for it you wouldn't find it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that start on modified cars already in the country next.:mad:

If memory serves, don't all imported cars now have to conform to a 'Model Report' ? The Model Report being a full rundown of how the car was when it was manufactured, and therefore yes the car does have to be in standard form.

I think it also means that if there is no model report for a specific car, then you can't get it SVA'd.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I've got that wrong :D

Matt

Originally posted by Muffleman

If memory serves, don't all imported cars now have to conform to a 'Model Report' ? The Model Report being a full rundown of how the car was when it was manufactured, and therefore yes the car does have to be in standard form.

I think it also means that if there is no model report for a specific car, then you can't get it SVA'd.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I've got that wrong :D

Matt

You are quite correct, getting reports done is expensive, some importers share reports, others get a specific model done and hold onto it religiously. Importers are nailing stock bits back on cars for SVA, then tearing them off to refit modded stuff. Work standards vary, wildly.

Not sure if late (ie, VVTi) Supras have a sheet yet.

i am still importing and i will make as clear as possible for yous.

10 year old cars can be highly modified and only need mot to register and relevant conversions for mot.

cars newer than 10 years old need all the above and an sva test and from now on they have to be in stock form, u can bend a few rules if u know certain people to pass it. it didnt come from me.

cars made from june 1997 need all above and a model report.

some model reports arnt available yet.

hope this clears things up.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

You are quite correct, getting reports done is expensive, some importers share reports, others get a specific model done and hold onto it religiously. Importers are nailing stock bits back on cars for SVA, then tearing them off to refit modded stuff. Work standards vary, wildly.

Not sure if late (ie, VVTi) Supras have a sheet yet.

Never, ever ...and i mean EVER use SVA in Southampton

Animals...and useless...

No the VVti doesn't have a model report done yet..AFAIAA

If you really want to bring in your own car FFS be careful...Japanese second hand dealers are very capable of sticking in broken down heaps!

Then on the boat they are likely to crack or lose bits of bodykits!

Dont stick stuff in to ferry across as it will get nicked!

I have cultivated a contact out there who checks them and then enables me to buy before they get to auction - it's the only way I will buy!

Undoubtably they (the government) will make it even harder for anyone to do it in the future - it makes them more money to have you buy here!

:(

Chris mate

HURY UP AND MOVE CANT GET HOLD OFF YOU WHEN YOU ARE AT THE gfS:p

Here goes can get s2000 no problem rx8 yes if you want a Auto model report is not yet available for the 5 and 6 speed varient could be up to six months

:eek:

Also as the rest of the guys are saying i think that is bull as our guys rx7 arrived in Southampton yesterday :)

mmmmmmmmmmveilside mmmmmmmm

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Gals

First posting !! Bit nervous :conf:

Basically what jergan has written is spot on.

The regulations changed on the 1st of April 2004.

Vehicles over 10 years old only need MOT and then they can be registered.

Anything newer needs to go through ESVA , Any car that is 1997 onwards needs to have a model report to prove that complies with certain european requirements. There are a few reports out there, but as said the car needs to bog standard :mad:

There where earlier in the year a lot of cars stuck out in Japan because of a lack of boats, I have not heard anything about the goverment stopping us bringing stuff over just making it bloody hard !!

Cant believe its taken me so long to find you all !!!

great forum,

Going now still nervous !!!

Vanessa

Originally posted by Vanessa

There where earlier in the year a lot of cars stuck out in Japan because of a lack of boats

If its the same problem... the yep, mine was one of them, delayed for two months. The liner mine was loaded onto broke down at sea, and had to be towed back to port. :)

Unfortunately Nissan and Toyota also had a load of new cars on the same ship as mine, and they took priority (new cars) over the others (used cars) and as such they took all the space on most of the other liners that DID have space free, the rest were booked up full. This created a massive backlog of cars that had to find a new ship, hence the delay. We had options to get them containered, or flown, but by the time it was arranged the importer had found space on a ship for me.