The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to make your iPhone fit in the ashtray

Rob

If you're anything like me than you'll know that hardly a day goes by without someone running up to me in the street or sending me a letter asking how to fit an iPhone 3Gs into the MKiv Supra ashtray. Its impossible you say, yet if I had a £1 for every person that asked, I'd have literally the same amount of money I have right now.

"It won't fit, its just too big" We've all heard that before, eh guys? Yet now, just as then, a cutting tool is required.

Disassemble the gear surround and ashtray parts. Grab your Dremel and do this....(pictures

In the second picture, you need to grind/cut away the vertical "rails" that the ashtray slots over, leaving about8=10mm at the very top, intact. Cut away the front of the ashtray as shown, leaving about 8-10mm of slot, so that it still locates in and holds the lid in place when shut.

The iPhone now fits and you can even install the power lead through the bottom so that it charges in place, if you can figure out how to wire in a USB tothe 12v ACC and earth.

IMG_0411 (Small).JPG

IMG_0412 (Small).JPG

IMG_0414 (Small).JPG

IMG_0416 (Small).JPG

IMG_0418 (Small).JPG

I just take the ashtray out and it slotted in there perfect. Oo

Ah, but I wanted the lid to shut when there is no phone in there. I only get a new phone once every 4 or 5 years, since 2000 I've had an 8910, which went in the stock ashtray nicely, an e65 which required a bit of filing to the inner ashtray and now the iPhone.

Ah, but I wanted the lid to shut when there is no phone in there. I only get a new phone once every 4 or 5 years, since 2000 I've had an 8910, which went in the stock ashtray nicely, an e65 which required a bit of filing to the inner ashtray and now the iPhone.

Ah, fair enough. Saying that I have had my 3GS for over 2 years now & not looking to change yet.

This is why I keep the ashtray in the center storage and mines an iPod touch and not the full phone.