The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID's in Supras

dude

Well after the last thread just thought I would say that I passed a nice spoilerless Sup on the A23 tonight, it had HID's and allthough bright they did not dazzle, if all the kits are like this I would actually say its not a bad mod, the one that dazzled me must have been a diff kit alltogether. Humble pie eaten.

Very honorable of you to admit you're wrong, however since that thread I've been looking at HIDs on various cars, both stock and aftermarket, and it seems to be half of them are dodgy and dazzle you and the other half don't, but it's not always the aftermarket ones that are worst!! So you were right that HIDs do require some careful work to make them right, had a 4X4 Merc blind me today, it was lucky it was not quite fully dark or else I wouldn't have been able to see the road!

I found once the hids on the supra were properly aligned they didn't blind or dazzle any other driver , it was more the Saxo and civic brigade that fitted them to non projector lights is what the problem is , also people put weight in the back (passengers) and don't adjust there lights down, us supra drivers can't put anyone in the back so we don't suffer this problem.

Very honorable of you to admit you're wrong, however since that thread I've been looking at HIDs on various cars, both stock and aftermarket, and it seems to be half of them are dodgy and dazzle you and the other half don't, but it's not always the aftermarket ones that are worst!! So you were right that HIDs do require some careful work to make them right, had a 4X4 Merc blind me today, it was lucky it was not quite fully dark or else I wouldn't have been able to see the road!

I've noticed more and more cars running them lately. It's possibly since that thread that I've been taking more notice. Anyway, as I said in that thread it's the non-projector style lenses that are the real issue. I was driving up my own, well lit, street tonight and some plank in a corsa had those bright blue 10000k HIDs. He was parked up at the side of the road and the way the light emitted from them was just ridiculous. The reflectors clearly guide the light a little but but the design of the HID bulb means that the light scatters absolutely everywhere.

Any car with projector lenses will be fine as long as the heights etc are set correctly.

I found once the hids on the supra were properly aligned they didn't blind or dazzle any other driver , it was more the Saxo and civic brigade that fitted them to non projector lights is what the problem is , also people put weight in the back (passengers) and don't adjust there lights down, us supra drivers can't put anyone in the back so we don't suffer this problem.

I found the same once I'd aligned them I've had no problems, before when I was following friends they did comment on them, I aligned them and all was good :thumbs:

Well after the last thread just thought I would say that I passed a nice spoilerless Sup on the A23 tonight, it had HID's and allthough bright they did not dazzle, if all the kits are like this I would actually say its not a bad mod, the one that dazzled me must have been a diff kit alltogether. Humble pie eaten.

:thumbs:

I found the same once I'd aligned them I've had no problems, before when I was following friends they did comment on them, I aligned them and all was good :thumbs:

How did you manually align them? Is it the big metal rod that pokes out or small white knob thingy?

Mine seem to be good & no complaints from following friends though, I'd like to know how. :)

How did you manually align them? Is it the big metal rod that pokes out or small white knob thingy?

Mine seem to be good & no complaints from following friends though, I'd like to know how. :)

I altered the metal rods and it seemed to solve it :D

I did it facing the garage doors so I could see light and knew that both sides were the same level.

I altered the metal rods and it seemed to solve it :D

I did it facing the garage doors so I could see light and knew that both sides were the same level.

I tried them & they seemed a little stiff so I left it as I didn't want to mess up the way it was.

Thanks dude :)

I have 6000k (White standard) hids for my fog/main and dip, manually fine tuned the pattern grouping and use my level switch to adjust if I put weight in the boot/passenger ect, must admitt the Uk glass headlights with 4 position height motors make it easier, but regardless, you gotta do the garage door pattern alignment setup and take note of how high your dip top line is

Mine I usually have just on the safe side of below the dazzle line,

I was thinking of putting together a (self levelling) kit for use with glass Uk lights and a retro fit actuator kit for j spec lights using commonly available level motordrives if people were interested

I have 6000k (White standard) hids for my fog/main and dip, manually fine tuned the pattern grouping and use my level switch to adjust if I put weight in the boot/passenger ect, must admitt the Uk glass headlights with 4 position height motors make it easier, but regardless, you gotta do the garage door pattern alignment setup and take note of how high your dip top line is

Mine I usually have just on the safe side of below the dazzle line,

I was thinking of putting together a (self levelling) kit for use with glass Uk lights and a retro fit actuator kit for j spec lights using commonly available level motordrives if people were interested

I'd be very interested in that, currently got UK Spec's in mine.

Do you have your level motors wire in?, it's a really easy job, originally I had a 4 position dial switch from a yaris in my old dash panel, until I got a panel and switch from keron

Nope, though I am now tempted to do it.

What parts do I need? (Sorry for the OT dude).

HID's in J spec lights aren't usually an issue its UK lights which dazzle everyone due to the stupidly sloped cut off shields.

They will never be as good as a true HID retrofit but there not bad considering the stock projectors strangle the light.

Nope, though I am now tempted to do it.

What parts do I need? (Sorry for the OT dude).

Unfortunately I only have iPhone Internet ATM, so I can't post pics easily,

But the above link lays out wot you need, basically the drives have a positive feed (from lighting circuit so is only live when lights on) and a neg feed, then 4 further negative feeds, in the above diagram as yellow White red and blue, if you connect upto your headlight motor with pos and neg, then run a jumper negative to either one of the 4 position connections it the motor will go to the corresponding height, so you can use a 4 position switch (or most any 4 position headlight switch) to controll your lights

The diagram in the link ajlittler put up lays it out

Unfortunately I only have iPhone Internet ATM, so I can't post pics easily,

But the above link lays out wot you need, basically the drives have a positive feed (from lighting circuit so is only live when lights on) and a neg feed, then 4 further negative feeds, in the above diagram as yellow White red and blue, if you connect upto your headlight motor with pos and neg, then run a jumper negative to either one of the 4 position connections it the motor will go to the corresponding height, so you can use a 4 position switch (or most any 4 position headlight switch) to controll your lights

The diagram in the link ajlittler put up lays it out

Thanks dude, not great at electrics but I'll look through that, I am sure I'll suss it out :)