The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Larger rims - what are the limits of the stock arches

Luxluc

Hello guys,

In order to prepare the next power level, I plan on changing my actual rims for wider ones.

I want to go for :

19x9.5 front

19x11.5 rear

The plan is to fit 305-30/19 Michelin pilot sport cup tires to the rear to have better traction (for the moment, the 265 Cup tires seem fine, but each rear set is gone after around 800mls, so I guess I have slight wheelspin in 3rd without really noticing .. I sometime see slight smoke in the rear mirror when flooring it in 3rd, but it's no heavy wheelspin).

I read a bit on offset, and would like to get you thoughts about what is feasible without having to go for overfenders (the only ones I really like are the Nur ones, as I want to keep the stock arch look). I was thinking about max 20 offset for front and rear, but am not sure what are the limits of the stock arches (with maybe some slight roll).

Cheers

Luc

No chance with a 20 offset on an 11.5 wide wheel, thats nur archs teritory.

On a 11.5" wide rear wheel you need an offset of about 50 to fit the stock arches, on a 19" wheel you might need to jack it up a bit, id go with 18's, imo an 18 looks better and gives better traction.

Got that Jamie. My mistake, I was calculating in the wrong direction ; higher positive offsets pulls the rim more to the car if I remember right.

I know what you mean about 18" vs 19", but a lot of 18" inch look small on a Supra.

I was wondering if 19" would make that much of a difference in traction against 18"

What about the front arches Jamie? Do you think 9.5 are feasible with the right offset. The second single Supra running in Luxembourg is running CCW 18x9.5 front and 18x11.5 rear. We haven't found any info on the offset, but the wheels clear the arches (front and rear) without arch modifications.