The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Weight saving for track days?

SUPRA2012

Hi all

Im a new member, having got my hands on a 1993 non turbo auto Supra....just wondered if anyone has any advice/ideas about prepping for track use....does anyone use a non turbo auto on the track?.....i am thinking about a carbon fibre bonnet, is it worth spending £600 ish for the weight saving?....also, what is the most power gain i could hope to get from a good exhaust/manifold/induction kit/performance air filter/re-map?..also, what about suspension?...does anyone know a good setup that is reasonable money?..i dont want to spend silly money, but just fancy having a little tinker with it...if i had to choose bewteen more power or better handling, i would go for the handling...

any help much appreciated

Billy

With an N/A I'd say you would be better stripping the car out...i.e. rear seats, passenger seat, carpets, spare wheel, tools etc etc

You will feel that the gains will well outweigh the benefits of a carbon bonnet, air filter etc.

Weight saving is the way to go.;)

To be honest unless it a real carbon bonnet you won't save much weight over stock as they are made of a lightweight alloy. Most of the carbon bonnets you can get for £600 mark are fiberglass shell with carbon layed over the top and can sometimes weigh more. I would go with what has been said above it cheaper and far more affective.

The carbon bootlids are a good weight saving they will knock off about 8kg or so. If you want to go really mad you can get the seibon carbon doors they will save loads of weight as both doors together weigh less then the OEM ones. The set I had weighed about 13kg for pair so there massive saving but they are not cheap. It all depends on how far you want to go

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Unless you strip out lots of items just doing the bonnet is a waste of time and money

You'd be better off making it handle properly and stop properly.

What suspension and brakes are on it now ?

The mimimum for brakes would be a fluid change and better pads including

checking there operating properly.

Suspension could be just upgrade the roll bars to start with and see how

you get on.

Also be carefull with fitting differant exhausts as it will fail the noise tests at most circuits

unless your carefull

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice......

.ok, 1) i plan to replace the front seats ( esp the drivers with this one i found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280726533440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

£250 for a new lightweight seat? seems good value.

2) I have seen a set of Toyota Bilsteins with 40mm lowering springs on ebay too, i am going to buy them. (£100 ish?)

3) I also saw a HKS Induction kit ( £150 ish) , which I think i will buy, OR, would a £50 KnN or Pipercross filter do the job?

4) I believe my current brakes are factory standard, so, is it worth spending £250 ish on new discs/pads all round? And braided hoses? What brand should i go for?

5) My car currently sits on 18's; should a i get a set of 16-17 '' wheels?

6) Finally, oil/filter change, coolant flush and performance brake fluid.

That seems like a good starting point to me.....I will keep you all posted

cheers

Billy

1/ up to you but a good race seat will be better at holding you in place, the weight saving wont make any noticeable differance

2/ why not see what it drives like now, i'd fit uprated anti roll bars first but if the billsteins are in good nick then at £100 there worth buying

3/ induction kit is a waste of money, keep it on the stock airbox

4/ factory brakes could be 4 pot and 2 pot (uk spec) or 2 pot and 1 pot (j spec) uk's are better, fitting new discs depends on what your old ones are like, new brake fluid is a must, Motul RBF600, braided lines yes as there a cheap upgrade, speak to CW for uprated pads. Dont buy cheap blingy drilled and grooved discs off ebay unless someone recommends some.

Stock Toyota discs with an uprated pad will be fine

5/ It wont hurt to run the car on 16/17's and there pretty cheap to buy, especially the 16's, it should be fine on the 18's though so i'd give it a run out on those before you spend the money.

6/ yep a full service is a good idea inc belts, autobox fluid, fuel filter, etc and a full check over inc getting the suspension geo set up

7/ its worth looking at fitting engine oil and autobox coolers, decent ones aren't loads of money either at approx £100 each setrab, goodridge or mocul, http://www.merlinmotosport.co.uk or speak to CW on here

[quote

2/ why not see what it drives like now, i'd fit uprated anti roll bars first but if the billsteins are in good nick then at £100 there worth buying

Hi Dunk

Would stock turbo anti roll bars do the job? There is a rear on ebay at £50 at the moment.

cheers

Billy

I'd get some custom ones that are adjustable, the tt roll bars aren't great and are much better

suited to having comfortable rd use

Titan do adjustable and Whiteline, i've not used either, i have TRD on my car but

there not adjustable so you cant fine tune them for differant conditions.

Both me and my brother have stock ARB's and they work fine, if you make your car too stiff and dont have the suspension setup for purely track then it will handle terrible.

My bro had some TRD on his car and took them off after just 1 trackday (donnington) due to the car not feeling very good, it was all over the place.

Stuck some stock TT bars on and said its like a totally different car and handled lovely.

Check some of our vids out on youtube and see for yourself.

bignumtt - numstig - suzuki17dt, they are our usernames.