The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Apexi Neo for Bpu Question

SupraD06

Hi guys, just been reading through some old threads and started to wonder how to get the best use out of the apexi AFC Neo, the car already has one fitted but i have no idea as to what settings its been set to. In most of the threads many members have said to get rid and go for a full stand alone ECU, but to be honest im not that bothered about upgrading unless i go the single route etc.

The car is a Jspec TT 6speed and was last dyno'd at 412fwhp @1.2bar, im just wondering if the Neo is even set up right at the moment and could i benefit from having it set up properly? Also is there any benefit in changing the injector size? And would it be safe to run 1.4 bar on stock Jspec's? the car is only used as a weekend car, and is currently only on 51k miles. I'll be the first to admit that im not that clued up on what i can or can't do, so just after some advice realy.

And i know some of the questions have come up before, but i could'nt realy find the answers to some parts.

Many thanks

I can't really comment on the neo as I haven't heard of it before. 1.2bar is safest boost to run on j-spec you can run 1.4bar but your EGT will get high and reduce the life of your turbo. The compressor blades them self are ceramic in the j spec not steel like they are in the uk spec so there not as strong and can start to break up if you run to much boost.

To be honest 412bhp on stock tubbies is a good result I would leave it as it is. You could swap them for hybrid but I doubt you will get much more power out of them. If you want more power the best although not cheap option is to go single

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Cheers for the reply's. I did think 1.2 bar was the max limit, but was unsure if running 1.4 bar from time to time would be ok? I think ive read though that after 1.2bar your creating more heat and not realy much more power anyway. Any idea if bigger injectors are worth doing? Im assuming im nearly maxing out the stock ones anyhow.

Running 1.3bar would be OK but will shorten the life of your turbos, 1.4 its just a matter of time, as for the Neo, not played with one but a bit more advanced than the older SAFC, tweaking fueling shouldn't be necessary on BPU, and i certainly wouldn't advise doing so without a wide-band lambda setup, that way you can actually tell if there is any need to tweak fueling, you also shouldn't need bigger injectors.

^^^^ Thanks Ricky, i did wonder if i could run 1.3, but didnt know if it would make much more power over 1.2? To be honest im not to worried about the life of the turbo's as its only ever run at weekends, and even then its not ragged about. Put it this way, ive had the car 6 years and done just over 8000 miles in it. Plus the boost controler has high and low settings, so id only run it at 1.3 every now and then.

Are the injectors safe to run at 1.3? Just to clarify im not number chasing, and dont want to squeeze everly last drop out, but just wanted to get the best out of the Neo.

Sorry to high jack put what is the max Hp you can reach with stock J-spec Turbo's @ 1.2bar?

also why do people chose to go single instead of say hks,greddy etc twins?

also at what level are you maxing the stock 440's?

Sorry to high jack put what is the max Hp you can reach with stock J-spec Turbo's @ 1.2bar?

I believe around 430 is the max to be had with Jspec twins, but as mentioned they are not as strong as the Uk tubbies. People go single as its cheaper than big twins, and a far easier setup.

^^^^ Thanks Ricky, i did wonder if i could run 1.3, but didnt know if it would make much more power over 1.2? To be honest im not to worried about the life of the turbo's as its only ever run at weekends, and even then its not ragged about. Put it this way, ive had the car 6 years and done just over 8000 miles in it. Plus the boost controler has high and low settings, so id only run it at 1.3 every now and then.

Are the injectors safe to run at 1.3? Just to clarify im not number chasing, and dont want to squeeze everly last drop out, but just wanted to get the best out of the Neo.

Generally speaking its said that all things being equal you get around 10BHP per 1 PSI of boost, I'm afraid I'm rather incredulous of all the 400+BHP plus BPU figures, i think its down to dyno and operator, not saying its doesn't happen but far rearer than supposed,

but anyway, if you run too setting then you won't get used to it so quickly:)

Injector wise, i only upgraded to 540cc when i ran hybrids in TTC mode, and kept the injectors when i went signal, and only then did i see 85% DC on them, but i obviously had piggyback ECU,

Like i said i would be inclined to at least run a wide-band setup at BPU levels just for peace of mind:)

You wont max out std injectors at BPU levels, and the max IMO is 400BHP and its rarity, most people go for a single setup these days, as hybrids or twin HKS can work out just as expensive of even more.

430hp (flywheel) is around the max you'll get out the stock j-spec turbos at 1.2bar with usual BPU mods, aftermarket cams, fueling mods and mapped ECU.

The GReddy and HKS twin turbo kits are both for big hp applications (700+hp), to get the best out of them would need a built engine and all supporting ancillaries, you'd be talking £20K+ for a fairly conservative build.

In comparison a single turbo conversion is cheaper and a lot simpler (less parts), 500-600hp makes for a very fast road set up and at this sort of power a 61-67mm single turbo is ideal.

440cc injectors are good for around 400hp, above this and they are starting to reach their limit.