The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still not cold starting properly... RESOLVED!!!

neo2810

Ok, so the problem hasn't gone away.

I'm still having to turn the car over 2 or 3 times in the morning before it fires, and then it's perfect for the rest of the day.

- I've replaced the distrbutor cap and rotor arm for brand new.

- It had a starter motor refurb about 2 years ago.

- Battery was replaced about 2 years ago.

So, what else should I be looking at in order?

- Bad earth? Is the main earth from battery directly, or is there an earth from block to chassis and one from transmission to chassis? Should I be checking main earths, or is there a separate earth from ignotion system parts?

- Ignition coil? Where is it located and how easy to replace?

- Anything else?

Edited by neo2810
Added resolve (see edit history)

as i said in your other thread fuel filter, do you know when it was changed,

2-3 turn overs or it that 2-3 times you have to try and start it

2 - 3 attempts to start it, with 5-6 turn overs each attempt.

What state are your plugs in?

Brand new iridiums fitted about 2 years ago (20000 miles) so should be still good nick.

2 - 3 attempts to start it, with 5-6 turn overs each attempt.

Brand new iridiums fitted about 2 years ago (20000 miles) so should be still good nick.

Probably not. On my old NA I put in a set of iridiums in and after 20K they were a mess. I actually wasn't going to check them until 30k as advertised but a misfire lead me to check them.

Is there not a cold start sensor that tells the ecu its starting from cold same as a tt ?

I'll replace the sparks as a precaution but I was going to ask that very question. If there is a sensor playing up that could explain it. I'd rather not have to mess about changing the fuel filter if I can help it. I'll get that done anyway on the next service.

• 1 month later...

Right, in the interest of adding a resolve to this thread, here's the latest.

After replacing the dizzy and rotor arm, new iridium sparks, new cold start sensor, cleaned and reseated earths, new fuel filter and leads cleaned, my car was still idling badly, cutting out a lot, and taking ages to start and then sounding like it had spanners in with the pistons when it finally caught, I was losing patience. At some point I had seen error 12 on the diagnostic and had translated that to crank shaft position sensor. So I started calling around to get a replacement only to find the NA doesn't have a cranks shaft sensor pre-1995. I decided that due to everything I've replaced or fixed, the only thing left to try was the ECU. I got hold of a replacement ECU, fitted it this morning and not only is the car running perfectly again, but my aircon has now started working again. So the cause of 6 months of troubles was a faulty ECU.

I pray to god this avoids anyone else going through what I've had to over the last 6 months. On the bright side, the car is perfect again and has lots of new internals :)