The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Neils refurb - Volk AV3 split rims

Neil-NA

After 2 .5 years of owning the car i have finally decided to do something about my aweful wheels, so the plan is to strip them all down and mirror polish the whole wheel (i tried this on a set of stock 16s for suprapod last year but ran out of time)

Here are pics so far of the 15 year old Volk AV3 wheels.

How the wheel looks complete.

Rim split down.

Centre split down.

If the centres don't polish up to well i am looking at getting them powder coated in a colour i have yet to decide.

The aim is a wheel refurb thats as cheap as possible, i will update the thread once or twice a week if anyone is interested.

How did you find them when you took them apart?

Did any of the fixings snap?

Not one snapped, i blasted the backs with plusgas then used a 6mm allen key on the fronts and a six sided 10mm socket on the back, so far all have come out quite easy.

Not one snapped, i blasted the backs with plusgas then used a 6mm allen key on the fronts and a six sided 10mm socket on the back, so far all have come out quite easy.

That's pretty good going then.

I would have been terrified that one or more were to shear, but guess you can buy the studs from VOLK's.

Will look great when you finally finish them, whatever colour you go for look forward to the updates.

I'm just about to start the same on my Blitz Z1s.

How long did it take to remove the studs on one wheel and did you deflate the tyre before removing the centre section?

I left them soaking for 10 mins, the bolts took around 15mins in total to remove, just took my time to make sure the socket was on as flat as poss so i didnt round any, they ar'nt too bad on my wheels as its literally just a nut and bolt, i have seen some wheels with fancy bolts that i wouldnt like to have a go at. Didn't bother to deflate the tyre.

I left them soaking for 10 mins, the bolts took around 15mins in total to remove, just took my time to make sure the socket was on as flat as poss so i didnt round any, they ar'nt too bad on my wheels as its literally just a nut and bolt, i have seen some wheels with fancy bolts that i wouldnt like to have a go at. Didn't bother to deflate the tyre.

Is Plusglas similar to WD40?

What about torqueing the bolts when you are putting it back together?

Is Plusglas similar to WD40?

What about torqueing the bolts when you are putting it back together?

No, WD is a water displacer, plusgas is a penetrating fluid.

I will do some research on the bolt torque when putting them back together iirc you dont torque them up that much.

replace the studs with stainless ones, I did this on my Blitz so they stay looking fresh and come apart easier. The only problem is they cost me about £180 and came from germany.

Mine have gold coloured studs so hopefully they will be reuseable.

I assume they will need to be soaked in some sort of cleaner to strip off the old threadlock?

I have just had a quick look at the wheels and I'm not sure if I can remove the centre section without completely splitting the 3 pieces.

I dont see the silicone seal between the front and rear rim sections so I suspect it is under where the centre section bolts on. Similar to this wheel

If I remove the centre section it may wreck the seal and I'm told it is a bugger to redo it.:(

I have just had a quick look at the wheels and I'm not sure if I can remove the centre section without completely splitting the 3 pieces.

I dont see the silicone seal between the front and rear rim sections so I suspect it is under where the centre section bolts on. Similar to this wheel

If I remove the centre section it may wreck the seal and I'm told it is a bugger to redo it.:(

I have some enkies that are 3 piece and have a seal, no way will i split them, these volks are fine as they are only 2 piece