The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alternative Intake Manifold for NA Supra

xm 1

as the title states i'm looking for an alternative solution for the oem NA intake manifold. i already found out that a intake manifold such as on the TT would loose low end power and over the hole rpm band width.

so is there a solution to get rid of the NA oem intake. played in my mind already with going ITB but i guess i won't pass emision tests (or is it possible).

machining and costs should be "no problem" but what could really be done!?!?!

any ideas ???

Depends what your future plans are. A front facing intake manifold for the NA does look nice, but because of the design unless your forced induction you don't get ANY benifits, and might even loose power.

The OEM intake has a torque increase valve, which will also be removed. Because of the way the air is split in the OEM manifold, your stuck with replacements unless you have the same design with a different manifold, which would be pointless.

David P has a different over head intake manifold, but thats a custom made unit. ITB's are not worth the money. They sound and look pretty but bang for buck, your be down on power compared to an NA-T and will cost twice as well.

What is the problem your trying to solve? For what reason do you want to replace it.

i have heard of many people which used a ffim on their NA-T without a turbo that they had a lose of torque and the car felt "slow"....so since i want to stay NA (much easier here in germany to get street legal) i wanted a different style of intake to use the TT valve covers and the fact to replace the spark plugs easier :D (please no flaming on this)

and if there´s a better solution than the oem one why not give it a try?????

and last but not least it looks way better and you have less heat soak.

what effect does the size of the throttle body have??? cause everyone i know who "tried" the ffim on their NA-T supra had big throttle bodies on!!!

i calculated with a programm which i found on the web that the ideal size for the NA engine is somewhere near 69mm !!

all the guys used 80-100mm throttle bodies.

could this be a problem?

You can run well over 400bhp with the stock intake and throttle body, staying non turbo you will not have any problems with your throttle body.

You will have to get a custom designed intake to work the same as the OEM intake, and not be positioned like the FFIM currently on the market. You will struggle being NA to find an intake that isn't FFIM or OEM that will work as well as the OEM and not loose you power.