The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Steering Problems...

DuaneT.Turbo

Hey,

So firstly i had a bad whining, was loosing power steering fluid and noticed that when close to stationary (or so i thought, i will explain later) steering was hard, so i followed a guide from here about changing the pump, i took all the necessary parts off and the pump seemed fine and the bearing had no play. The one thing i found is that one of the hoses coming off the joint held on by the banj bolt had completely come off!! So i put the hose back on and put the system back together again. I've now bled the system twice, there is no whine anymore, im not loosing fluid but heres the 1 problem from earlier. I thought that it was when i was close to stationary that steerin was hard but it turns out when the revs are not on tick over and above say 1500 the steering is fine... i can now also hear a rubbing noise.... Could the belt need more tension?

Help please..

D

i would go under the bonnet when engine is started, and get friend to turn the steering wheel,

so you can hear where the rubbng is.

if the belt isnt tight enough, it will squeel. check its not rubbing on anything like a pipe or wire,

there is also a small vacuum that goes from the banjo to the throttle body, have a check to see if thats connected to as thats to do with the revs and steering

(there is another recent thread in technical section on this)