The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Choosing A turbo for na-t

jake supra

Hi all

Need some advice on what turbo would be best suited for my na-t build. At the present I have a t3 manifold and a cheap eBay t3 copy turbo that is maxed out at around 400bhp. It has a internal waste-gate which is annoying as im going to be running an external 38mm one.

Im Looking for something that can handle around 500bhp and needs to be T3. budget around 400pounds.

Iv looked at this one on bay not sure if its any good tho:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200620238765?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jake

I was going to suggest a GTX3076R but then I saw your budget! £400 for a turbo? Is that possible?

Edit - checked the ebay ad. Well, hmmm, there are a few maxims I could trot out here, like "you get what you pay for", "if it's too good to be true it probably is", "pay cheap, pay twice" and so forth. Genuine Garrett turbos of this ilk are around £1500 to £1800. They are at the forefront of turbo technology so that price covers a lot of R&D spend, so maybe a copy at the same quality levels would be in the region of £1000 to £1200? But £400 you have to ask where the corners have been cut.

Mind you, on the other hand, for £400 it might be worth a punt :) The only real risk is if it blows and the engine sucks bits of the exhaust wheel back into the engine & trashes that. Or it spits oil onto the exhaust and sets fire to the car. Both are pretty remote, so meh.

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

I can spend more. I was thinking getting a good copy first then investing in a quality branded one something like a Garrett.

I edited my post above :) Garrett turbos aren't cheap but they are quality and there is the backup support if you get problems.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need to do the head gasket when going na-t, you can't just wait a while and do it further down the line

I Could be wrong as well but thought aslong as you run a low psi. Think 6 or 7psi then The engine can handle the boost.

Edited by jake supra
Spelling (see edit history)

For that price it'll be a Chinese made turbo, I regularly get sent emails from Chinese manufacturers trying to flog turbos, personally I would not waste my money.

With a budget of £400 I would look at sourcing a good quality second hand turbo rather than buying new, a Garrett GT35 or GT35R with T3 housing would be a good choice.