The mkiv Supra Owners Club

quick pipe question.

Guigsy

no... not that kind.

A while ago i noticed a loose pipe in my engine bay up near the power steering res. It was poking strait up and had obviously been attached to something.

I ignored it, no fluid or anything coming out of it so i didnt worry.

Iv been told its for the speed sensitive steering. which iv also noticed doesnt work. And the other end does indeed end at the PS pump.

Looking at the length it attaches to the right hand side of the intake manifold. And i'v been told it does. But i already have a pipe connected there which goes arround the back of the bay to somewhere the other side.

So i got a 6mm T piece (i did get a 5 and it was too small for the loose pipe). attached the loose end just fine. perfect fit, but the pipe thats already there has a much smaller ID, a realy thick wall and not much flex. its not old just very stiff and its got no give in it at all. i just about managed to get it onto the t piece but only the very end and dont want to leave it like that...

Now, i have some silicone hose the right size... Any harm in useing this instead is there? shouldnt be getting too hot, and its not fuel or oil or anything.

maybe a newbie question but its an easy job and i want to check before i do anything too incredibly dumb!

A photo would help (of the pipe, not a man smoking a pipe ;) )

If it's the pipe I think you mean, it's not for speed sensitivity on the PAS, it's for increasing the engine idle when you turn the steering while stationary. It allows some air to bypass the throttle butterfly when the PAS pump is worked. Does the pipe fit onto a downwards-pointing barb on the side of the plenum?

What have you got plumbed in instead of this hose? If it wanders off round teh back of the engine bay it could be anything, boost gauge, BOV... It's not the ideal place to take a vacuum reference from as it can be affected by the PAS system.

Ok here we are.

This is how iv got it at the mo. The pipe that's fully on the t piece is the one loose that's coming from the ps pump

The pipe coming from the manifold goes back along the firewall, through the drivers wing and disappears. No clue where. Doesn't seem to touch the boost controller or if it does I can't trace it.

Sorry the pic is upside down.

Then under the tb there are these 2.

Are you saying the pipe I have in the t piece that comes from the ps pump needs to go onto one of these under the tb? If so which. One look cleaner than the other.

When I first got the car it needed a replacement tb. So maybe it has just come off or never connected. Bit worried I should have 2 things connected there tho...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326893318.288731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326893363.071039.jpg

Alright chap, I had guessed which one it was correctly :) Yep, that's the PAS throttle bypass pipe. When you turn the steering wheel while stationary, a valve on the PAS pump lets air past the throttle butterfly to raise the idle, compensating fo the extra load that the PAS pump is now putting on the engine.

If you trace the pipe down towards the PAS pump you should see the plastic valve housing it connects to. There should be another hose coming off the valve and heading up under the throttle body to join BEFORE the butterfly.

In fact, the top of the valve is visible in your second picture, bottom middle of the image. Looks like the second pipe is there and heading in the right direction.

If the t'd in pipe disappears off towards the cabin it's bound to be boost gauge related, or any other box o tricks that needs a boost pressure reference line. Disconnect it and see if the gauge stops working ;)

The other two barbs are for a coolant supply to the throttle body. They run warm coolant around the TB to stop it from icing up in extreme low temperature situations. Looks like yours has been bypassed, nothing to worry about at all.

-Ian

Ok. Why I didn't think to check on my other car sat next to it on the drive I don't know!

So I can replace the stubborn pita hose with some silicone pipe then and leave the t piece. Cheers :)

I might loop a bit of pipe between those 2 under the throttle boddy. I'm paranoid about crap getting in there :p

The only thing it could be for is the boost controller as I have no other boost gauge. But there is a little unit for that near the intake. But it doesn't seem to touch that.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Ok. Why I didn't think to check on my other car sat next to it on the drive I don't know!

:rlol:

So I can replace the stubborn pita hose with some silicone pipe then and leave the t piece. Cheers :)

I might loop a bit of pipe between those 2 under the throttle boddy. I'm paranoid about crap getting in there :p

It's just a coolant chamber, doesn't enter the air stream or TB mechanism or anything. Leave it alone :)

The only thing it could be for is the boost controller as I have no other boost gauge. But there is a little unit for that near the intake. But it doesn't seem to touch that.

The boost controller needs to know boost pressure so it could be that. Disconnect it, see what stops working :shrug: