The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can you use the standard TT set up for an NA-T

viper

Hi,

this is probably a ver ystupid question but i want to ask it.

Im doing an NA-T set up and want to ojnow if it is possible to use the orginal TT parts to bolt on, if they can just bolt on.

The reason i ask is i have access to alot of stock TT parts but not enough to build an entire engine, but possibl yenough to build up on an NA block.

I understand the diffrences being head gaskets, pistons and conpression ratios.

but done know weather the TT turbo set up could be put on an NA engine with the TT ecu and other parts ect. or even just use the T turbos and then use a piggy back etc.

If you wouldnt mind fillinf me in on weather im completly wrong and why i would realy appreciate it.

Use T.T. pistons, head, gasket and engine loom then it would be plug&playish.

With the addition of 1 wire or a bulkhead loom swap, a T.T. ECU could be used too.

The bottom end would be happy up to circa 600bhpftlbish, or fit the oil squirters for more.

If you have the bits and you're into tinkering, N/A-T.T. B.P.U. would be a cheap and reliable 400bhpftlbish.

Manual or auto?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

So is it just the TT bottom end and block you don't have?

If you already have the majority of the TT parts (cylinder head, manifolds, turbos, ECU, wiring looms, etc.) I'd perhaps look at sourcing a 2JZ-GTE block and fit this on the 2JZ-GE bottom end - which is identical to the 2JZ-GTE bottom end - then build up the engine with all new OEM internals (bearings, seals, pistons, oil pump, etc.) You could use the 2JZ-GE block but as already said they do not include the oil squirters, not sure if these can be retro fitted.

Another option would be to purchase a brand new 2JZ-GTE short block (fully assembled block, crank, con rods, pistons, etc.) from Toyota - not checked prices for a while but they use to be around £1.8-2K from memory - then build the engine up with the 2JZ-GE crank case and TT parts you have.

Either way it's going to mean a lot of spanner work and going to cost a lot, will you be doing the build yourself or paying someone? If you are paying labour then it'd probably work out cheaper just to source a complete 2JZ-GTE engine and do a swap. Probably cheaper still to sell the NA and buy a TT :)

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

its a manual so the gearbox is going to be a little week over 450hp isnt it.

maybe ill just go down the NA-T route iv already got the manifold and downpipe. need a turbo and all the, pipes. lines electrics and sensors

Whichever route you go down, I would price everything you are going to need before hand, when you factor in all the parts and labour required to do a proper 'reliable' conversion with all the supporting ancillaries necessary (fueling, electronics, ECU/mapping, cooling, drivetrain, etc. etc.) it's not going to be cheap.

its a manual so the gearbox is going to be a little week over 450hp isnt it.

maybe ill just go down the NA-T route iv already got the manifold and downpipe. need a turbo and all the, pipes. lines electrics and sensors

W58 MT5 500 ft/lb ish

R154 MT5 750 ft/lb ish

V160/1 MT6 1200 ft/lb ish

A340E AT4 300 ft/lb ish

A343E AT4 500 ft/lb ish

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I wouldn't recommend trying to GTE your GE engine with different bits. Aside from lowering compression you can use components designed for the GE. Buying the turbos will be more expensive than buying a single turbo and cheap manifold. Which lately people claim are not failing as much as older cheap manifolds. I'm sure you could make an NA a twinturbo, but would be easier to just swap the engine. The man hours to replace the head to use the turbos wouldn't make it worth it.