The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JZA800... AUTO to MANUAL / NON-TURBO to TURBO

Guest INSANE

Hey all, im questioning myself where there is worth my wile invest little money in non turbo automatic supra and then later carry on with full motor rebuild and convert it to turbo, plus make it manual, or just save some more funds, find one that is factory manual and probably turbo too at the first place?

Any advices comprehensive or not are sincerely appreciated guys!

I think I can find non turbo nice auto for around 2000-4000 eur mark, and turbos or manual's are out of my budget as of yet... since its a project / summer car to be, Im wondering doing some things to it like listed above but if yous can guide me the right path so I dont have to splash-out where I mustn't to, I would be more than happy if I can get all such info's!

Thanks!

Best advice? Buy a turbo manual in the first place

Definitely. Over the years the forum has been littered with people in your position who made the mistake of buying an NA and then regretting it later. And that goes for NA manuals too as usually they have completely different gearbox so no benefit there.

Im really concerned now if I want to go trough all the hassle ... even tho I want to build some serious motor out of it, but it may just reinventing a cycle doing it now from N/A Auto to Turbo MT...

Thanks for your opinions... :) now im on the hunt for clean stock TURBO MT MK4 :cool:

Its bit out of topic, but how much I would want to pay for unmolested clean MK4 MT Turbo ?

Any opinions? Were there any major changes in cross-models like prefacelifts/facelifts referring to year of manufacture.. like strength of chassis or suspension regarding this looking in to the year?

Thanks

Edited by INSANE (see edit history)

Im really concerned now if I want to go trough all the hassle ... even tho I want to build some serious motor out of it, but it may just reinventing a cycle doing it now from N/A Auto to Turbo MT...

Thanks for your opinions... :) now im on the hunt for clean stock TURBO MT MK4 :cool:

Its bit out of topic, but how much I would want to pay for unmolested clean MK4 MT Turbo ?

Any opinions? Were there any major changes in cross-models like prefacelifts/facelifts referring to year of manufacture.. like strength of chassis or suspension regarding this looking in to the year?

Thanks

£7-£10k but then again it depends if you want a Bone-stock car or one with some tasteful mods.

I think I'd prefer bone stock so I can make some fresh history to it... seen few now in pistonheads can start looking at fairly good lookin ones from 5k mark up... would that be too good to be truth?

I think I'd prefer bone stock so I can make some fresh history to it... seen few now in pistonheads can start looking at fairly good lookin ones from 5k mark up... would that be too good to be truth?

5K for a 6 speed TT? :blink:

This thread is starting to sound like an old Supertramp song :)

you mean Jap import?

little read around they tend to have weaker brakes and limited power tuneup, but I suppose this all gets unlocked with proper mapping..?

haha cheers guys I totally misread , yes there were few turbos from 5k mark but were autos, and manual turbo 6speed kicks off from 7k mark...

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3523858.htm

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3485114.htm

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3543082.htm

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2912212.htm

and there goes 6speed MT twinturbos...

http://pistonheads.com/sales/3555264.htm ....

my bad

I'm doing the ma auto to tt manual bit (now a ma manual, (halfway there) im doing to learn how to do everything on a car though (hidden wanting to be a mechanic), I also have access to the bits for not too much. If your paying someone to do the work then just buy a tt6 dude, its a shed load of work, but fun

Good luck with the search

If you can't afford a TT 6 speed, just buy a TT auto. Theres a good few in Ireland at the minute for slightly above your budget. The TT auto box gets a great write up, but I can't personally comment.

I can say though that if it was me, I couldn't reccomend buying a NA supra, especially as you live in Ireland. €1500 a year to tax it and I can guarantee insurance won't be cheap. It's a lot of money to be spending for all show and very little go. There's virtually no diffrence in the mpg figure either, so it'll nearly have the same running costs as a TT.

If a manual TT is out of budget, go for a TT auto.

Where abouts are you in Ireland mate?

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

you mean Jap import?

little read around they tend to have weaker brakes and limited power tuneup, but I suppose this all gets unlocked with proper mapping..?

Yep. Smaller brakes. Bigger was an option and you should be able to find one with them. That shouldn't stop you though as then can easily be upgraded for maybe 500£ or so.

Power more or less the same. UK spec can be pushed further on stock parts. 400 hp around max for j-spec and 450 for UK with more or less basic upgrades. If you go single turbo you are more or less equal on the two. Especially if you compare 6 spd to 6 spd.

On the upside is that you will find it much easier to find 100% stock examples as well as the right combo of 6 spd, hardtop and low mileage.

Go, Go, GO!!

Yep. Smaller brakes. Bigger was an option and you should be able to find one with them. That shouldn't stop you though as then can easily be upgraded for maybe 500£ or so.

The larger brakes were standard equipment on many J-spec Supras and an option on other models. Yes all UK Supra were fitted with the larger brakes, but only 600+ were ever sold, if you compare the numbers there were a lot more J-spec Supras that came factory fitted with the larger brakes.

Power more or less the same. UK spec can be pushed further on stock parts. 400 hp around max for j-spec and 450 for UK with more or less basic upgrades.Especially if you compare 6 spd to 6 spd.

430hp is possible on a J-spec Supra. I'm not as familiar with the UK spec Supras, is 450hp really achievable with the slightly smaller stock turbos?

430hp is possible on a J-spec Supra but at an aboslut limit for injectors and fuel. I'm not as familiar with the UK spec Supras, is 450hp really achievable with the slightly smaller stock turbos?

430 is possible, but 400 is common and easily achievable. Thats what I though would be of interest to the OP.

I see 450 often US supras on twins (they are even talking about 500+ whp, but hey, they do have a very different view on hp's) and 450 has been proven on stock EU turbos here in DK with a boost controller, decat and proper cooling. I'm not sure if cams are needed for that though.