The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers: HSD's vs MeisterR Zeta R's

spikedjack

Looking to purchase a coilover setup shortly, and these two seem to have jumped out to me.

A good friend is running the HSD's on his RX7 FD3S and honestly i cant fault them, however, after reading many reviews and oppinions both on here and elsewhere, it seems that people either suggest HSD's or Meister R Zeta R's, and when looking at them seem to be very very similar with the only differences being:

1) the meister R's being £75 cheaper

2) the meister R's using a 14kg/8kg spring rate and the HSD's using an 18kg/10kg spring rate

What would you guys prefer and why?

Many thanks.

I'm going for the miester r just because of the softer spring rate. I think it would be a better setup for the road if I'm honest that's the only reason why I'm going for them. I think as in terms of build quality and how the damper works they will both be the same

Looking to purchase a coilover setup shortly, and these two seem to have jumped out to me.

A good friend is running the HSD's on his RX7 FD3S and honestly i cant fault them, however, after reading many reviews and oppinions both on here and elsewhere, it seems that people either suggest HSD's or Meister R Zeta R's, and when looking at them seem to be very very similar with the only differences being:

1) the meister R's being £75 cheaper

2) the meister R's using a 14kg/8kg spring rate and the HSD's using an 18kg/10kg spring rate

What would you guys prefer and why?

Many thanks.

I wanted the Zetas to replace my HSDs but only because of the colour scheme, I just went with painting my HSDs instead :D

The only real difference as far as I can tell is the spring rates. It will all come down to what you use the car for at the end of the day. If you want it to be stiffer and have sportier handling then the HSDs are the way to go, if you want comfort and a pleasant-ish ride then the Zeta Rs are the way to go.

The build quality of the HSDs is really good, they feel really solid when puttingg them on the car. I recently stripped mine down for painting and although the thread for adjusting was manky (as all are regardless of brand) they still came apart no bother at all.

The HSD's on the RX7 seem to ride lovely, however looking at the spring rates for the supra, although they are a much fatter car, i seem to think they may be bone shakingly stiff.

Looking at other coilovers on the market (cusco Hks etc) they all seem to run similar rates to that of the meister's....

The HSD's on the RX7 seem to ride lovely, however looking at the spring rates for the supra, although they are a much fatter car, i seem to think they may be bone shakingly stiff.

Looking at other coilovers on the market (cusco Hks etc) they all seem to run similar rates to that of the meister's....

The HSDs are anything but bone shaking. I had TRD Bilsteins with TRD springs and THOSE were teeth rattlers. I also got Megan Racing Coilovers which were similar to the HSDs but not quite as soft and the build quality wasn't as good.

They are perfect for me as I'm looking for a balance between handling and comfort, with more of an air towards handling. The Meisters will be the opposite.

just the spring rates more than anything thats concerning... Given they are in old money numbers, if my maths is correct the ratings are:

Stock:

430 lb/inch or 6kg/mm front

219 lb/inch or 4kg/mm rear

The HSD's seem to be tripling these rates?! surely 3 times as stiff cant be correct?

just the spring rates more than anything thats concerning... Given they are in old money numbers, if my maths is correct the ratings are:

Stock:

430 lb/inch or 6kg/mm front

219 lb/inch or 4kg/mm rear

The HSD's seem to be tripling these rates?! surely 3 times as stiff cant be correct?

Adjustable coilovers will always be like that though as they don't have much travel. The softer the spring the more chance of it bottoming out when pushing it. The higher spring rate is required when driving hard on adjustable coilovers.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the stock front rate is 8kg/mm rather than 6.

Seems like the HSD's seem to be slightly more performance orientated then with the Meisters more 'Show' as such?

Yes but I wouldn't really say "show" as such. They are both going to be more performance orientated than stock, it's just that one set has went more towards performance and one set has stayed closer to comfort.

I had a little google for the stock spring rates and I'm almost positive the ones you have quoted are UK spec rather than JDM which are a fair bit stiffer to begin with.

I may have to try it as I've been trying to come up with a good setup.

Thinking about it now I think it's actually 10 and 12. I was thinking I had the setting lower on the rear but I think I actually have it higher (so that it doesn't try to hop).

It's definitely in the mid-upper range anyway. Anywhere around that sort of setting should be good for some fun fast road without wanting to spin you into a ditch when you roll over a pebble.

Thinking about it now I think it's actually 10 and 12. I was thinking I had the setting lower on the rear but I think I actually have it higher (so that it doesn't try to hop).

It's definitely in the mid-upper range anyway. Anywhere around that sort of setting should be good for some fun fast road without wanting to spin you into a ditch when you roll over a pebble.

I'll give it a go once this weather has sorted itself out! Cheers :thumbs:

Ring both suppliers, say you have a leaking or knocking damper, and ask for an estimate and time frame to rebuild it... Not mentioning any names, and it was neither of those two brands, but one new damper I was playing with the other day exhibited signs of low gas charge. My mate who is into gas testing was hanging about and we sniffed the gas to see it was nitrogen, as it should be. The **gg*rs had filled them with plain compressed air. All 4 were the same, straight out of their packing ;)

Ring both suppliers, say you have a leaking or knocking damper, and ask for an estimate and time frame to rebuild it... Not mentioning any names, and it was neither of those two brands, but one new damper I was playing with the other day exhibited signs of low gas charge. My mate who is into gas testing was hanging about and we sniffed the gas to see it was nitrogen, as it should be. The **gg*rs had filled them with plain compressed air. All 4 were the same, straight out of their packing ;)

That's very intresting and disturbing. Just out of intrest was it one of the well knowen budget brands?

Not a bad idea there chris, thankyou for the imput!

• 4 weeks later...