The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hypothetical question

Tee from China

OK I'm going to pose a hypothetical question as I'm interested to see which way people would go. So lets say your looking for a Supra and your tick list is:-

1. Facelift

2. Manual

3. Twin Turbo

4. Low Mileage

5. Standard as possible

so then you find two cars, both low mileage in standard condition, both white, both manual turbos! The one is a 7/97 non VVTi with 17000kms and the other is 4/02 VVTi with 18000kms. Both are RZ-S's and come with 17"wheels and big brakes. So which one would you pick? and why? :eyebrows:

I reckon price should be on the tick list? The 2002 is a new car and potentially would hold its value better, but it should be alot more expensive.

I would check if the 1997 had a big diff, they are supposed to be stronger than the 2002 version. If big hp and hard driving is planned that may be a potential weak point.

Price would be a deciding factor I think, what is the cost of the two cars?

no prices as the dealers dont have shipping facilities and they are both in Japan. With both cars being face lifts if I am correct they would both have small diffs fitted as I think the bigger ones were only on the pre 96 models. Sure the 2002 would be more expensive but if future tuning was planned then the non VVTI would be more tunable and as the mileages are almost the same wear shouldn't be an issue. I would guess at maybe $10k more for the 02 one at least.

Can you send me the links? I am in Japan so I should be able to view the prices.

About the diff, I am not sure when the changeover happened to the small diff, you may be correct.

I would go for the 1997 as I would want to mod the car, and an extra $10K on the price for virtually the same car is alot. I could put that to good use modifing it..

I reckon they both will hold their value pretty well so I would want to spend less buying the car..

Just had a look on Goo-net, found the cars..

The 1997 is going for 2.5million yen (this includes licencing) - Actually the car is very close to me, in Toyota city...

The 2002 is priced at 3.4million yen (this does not include licencing, add 200000yen for that)

For that price you could pick up a 1993 - 1996 thats been single turboed...

Edited by Samurai 20V (see edit history)

VVTI off course!! I'm not very good at explaining why, but have been told that with a vvti engine we can adjust the valve timing in its optimum in each gear and rpm to achieve most/best perfermonce, but on the other hand, normally the more options we have the more chance something will break.

So in that case i would go with minimum options less chance something will break eventually.

I wouldn't get the 2002 simply due to the circa £400 road tax per year! This was one of my main deciding factors when I opted for my 2000 model as the price brackets changed in 2001.

Both have incredibly low mileage and I'm sure will be mint! I don't think they are overpriced for Japan...it's just in the UK that Sups values are low!

I wouldn't get the 2002 simply due to the circa £400 road tax per year! This was one of my main deciding factors when I opted for my 2000 model as the price brackets changed in 2001.

Both have incredibly low mileage and I'm sure will be mint! I don't think they are overpriced for Japan...it's just in the UK that Sups values are low!

They are overpriced mate.. For 4.5 million you can land a 2009 R35 GTR..

They are overpriced mate.. For 4.5 million you can land a 2009 R35 GTR..

2009 GTR are as low as £35k here now.

Thats probably the route i'd be going if i was buying another jap sports

car, i definitely wouldnt be shelling out £30k for a 10 year old supra

It seems that late and low mileage Supras are fetching high figures of late in Japan - or is it just the exchange rate of late?

With the higher taxation for the 2002, if you had that much to spend would that be an issue?

Makes that white TRD I found a while back good value at 25k (plus costs), taken that its a 2000 RZ version and these are both RZ-S ones !

That 3.2Km RZ has been for sale quite a while as I posted that up over a month ago! Maybe cos its an auto and on 16"wheels!

Japanese people will rarely buy such cars, they cost too much to licence and are the fuel price is very high. There are some cars which I have seen still for sale from 2 years ago..

Most cars are exported from Japan.

Most Japs will choose a new car for that price, its just a few that will consider buying it..

If you can really live with yourself spending that much on what is now an old car I would get detailed photos of the undersides of both cars, on ramps, and choose whichever was perfect with no box section crippling, no sill return damage and zero rust. Without personally being able to make detailed examinations and drive both cars for an extended road test I wouldn't contemplate either though. that's a huge amount of money to spend on a Supra on the strength of an advert.

If you can really live with yourself spending that much on what is now an old car I would get detailed photos of the undersides of both cars, on ramps, and choose whichever was perfect with no box section crippling, no sill return damage and zero rust. Without personally being able to make detailed examinations and drive both cars for an extended road test I wouldn't contemplate either though. that's a huge amount of money to spend on a Supra on the strength of an advert.

I find the Japs to be the most honest when it comes to this stuff, but I agree with you Chris.

I think to answer the hypothetical question most would choose the 1997 (provided it checks out), but in reality one would buy neither.