The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear upper Radius arms

Gaz B

Hey guys and girls,

This probably been answered already somewhere..

My N/S rear upper radius/wishbone arm has its bushes worn out. Ive been advised that its much easier to replace the entire wishbone part because its very difficult to replace the bushes on their own. There is a bit of play in the ball joint but not anything major to affect the car. Any suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks

Gaz B

You've been advised right but the arms themselves are a pretty penny before you get to the point of labour.

Which bush is worn? The inner or the outer? Reason I ask is the inner bush isn't just a bush, its a spherical bearing wrapped in rubber and is often mistakened for a worn bush.

Thanks guys.

Ive seen the prices and it seem to be around the £360 mark. Its the outer bush. Failed MOT because of it today :(

Whifbitz is the only place I can find the piece I need. Is there anywhere else I can try that could be cheaper?

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Ive seen the prices and it seem to be around the £360 mark. Its the outer bush. Failed MOT because of it today :(

Whifbitz is the only place I can find the piece I need. Is there anywhere else I can try that could be cheaper?

Thanks

I always find my local Toyota does the parts cheaper than most.

Reason I ask is the inner bush isn't just a bush, its a spherical bearing wrapped in rubber and is often mistakened for a worn bush.

It's also worth checking that the nut and bolt are torqued correctly. The ID of the spherical bearing is a massive clearance to the OD of the bolt (something like 0.7-0.8mm if memory serves). If it's not torqued up it can move a lot.

I queried the odd bolt vs bearing size with Toyota in the US and UK as I thought I had incorrect bolts....turns out that is just the way they are.

...Is there anywhere else I can try that could be cheaper?

You could try here - just over half-way down the page. £262.85 inc VAT + about a tenner for delivery.

I initially tried a second-hand one and whilst it was better than the original that was on the car, it still had some play so I bought a new one as above.

Wishbone.JPG

You could try here - just over half-way down the page. £262.85 inc VAT + about a tenner for delivery.

I initially tried a second-hand one and whilst it was better than the original that was on the car, it still had some play so I bought a new one as above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144342[/ATTACH]

If their genuine then thats really cheap, you got wonder how they do that

They import directly from Japan as opposed to buying from Toyota UK - and yes, they are genuine Toyota parts. :)

Good find that mate :thumbs:

It's also worth checking that the nut and bolt are torqued correctly. The ID of the spherical bearing is a massive clearance to the OD of the bolt (something like 0.7-0.8mm if memory serves). If it's not torqued up it can move a lot.

I queried the odd bolt vs bearing size with Toyota in the US and UK as I thought I had incorrect bolts....turns out that is just the way they are.

Interesting. I'm quite surprised there's that much clearance in to be honest. Is there actually a particular reason behind it or just the way its made? Would it not be better to fit a bolt with slightly larger diameter in the long run?

I couldn't see any reason for the sloppy fit at all. The front lower arm fits aren't exactly precision either but these top rears are worse. I didn't have the time or inclination to make up any better ones and I convinced myself that the clamping load was sufficient to hold them anyway....over a tonne to get one bolted face to slip comes to mind.

• 1 month later...