The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just to confirm BPU parts??

Supra N_A

I think it's a safer route to go down to be hoest to get a 1.0 bar rr and use a controller to raise it rather than risk it over boosting.

It isn't an essential part though, a RR will do the job fine if it's a good one... the reason I say it is because a boost controller adds another couple of hundred quid on top of the cost of BPU, and that's quite a significant percentage more on top.

Just curious if you build it up bit by bit is this alright or should you do it all at once? I have a 3" 2nd decat, will then get exhaust, then FCD, sparks, 1st decat and restrictor and finally the fuel pump.... Will it cause the engine to run badly (too rich)?

I dont have this RR issue as my cars a uk but if i had a jap i'd much rather have a lower RR bar and

then have the adjustabilty a boost controller gives you.

If your on the limit with the restrictor ring what happens on cold damp mornings, surely you'll be overboosting

and on j spec tubbies thats not good is it

Care to explain how ?

When there is a 1 bar restrictor ring in place to get it up to 1.2 the boost controller will increase the boost by the turbo's working harder as there is more restriction. With less restriction the turbo's will not work as hard to achieve the boost, therefore temps are lower and the life of the turbo's are prelonged. This is only my thinking behind it not supported by fact really.

But I do agree with you on the overboosting as if your producing 1.2 bar straight away then on cold days the only way is up for the boost.

Just my thoughts could be completely wrong :D

When there is a 1 bar restrictor ring in place to get it up to 1.2 the boost controller will increase the boost by the turbo's working harder as there is more restriction. With less restriction the turbo's will not work as hard to achieve the boost, therefore temps are lower and the life of the turbo's are prelonged. This is only my thinking behind it not supported by fact really.

But I do agree with you on the overboosting as if your producing 1.2 bar straight away then on cold days the only way is up for the boost.

Just my thoughts could be completely wrong :D

If its got a 1 bar restrictor ring how does it get to 1.2 bar ?

The turbos whether its done via a restrictor ring or boost controller if at the same bar

then the stress is the same on the turbos