The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake upgrades

Guest SilverSup

Guest SilverSup

I've decided, after owning my very first supra for about a month now, the brakes need some upgrading. It's a J-Spec N/A SZ.

My question is - which is the best value for money big brake kit for the supra? I'm currently on 19" alloys, so not much in the way of clearance issues. The only thing i'm really constricted by is money (although i don't intend to scrimp too much where brakes are concerned).

For starters, i can't afford anything like the Brembo bb kit. £3k on brakes seems outlandish to me (only on an NA, TT might be a different story).

I've seen a Wilwood 4-pot front brake kit on ebay for £645 with brembo plain discs, but something tells me that's a little cheap.

I've had a look at AP Racing, which are somewhere near £2200 ish which is still a little high.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

I've seen a Wilwood 4-pot front brake kit on ebay for £645 with brembo plain discs, but something tells me that's a little cheap.

I've had a look at AP Racing, which are somewhere near £2200 ish which is still a little high.

I've been looking at the same kit, when I used too have my rs turbo the was alot of guys running wilwoods on high power cossies and the where highly regarded on the ford forums, but after thinking on it for a few days I'm just gonna get some uk spec calipers with fast road pads and discs

To be honest your jspecs will be fine, they will just be tired and need refurbished. The brakes are actually fairly simple and replacing a few parts can make them like new.

If you are handy with the spanners you can easily refurbish them yourself for around £30 per axle.

Add to that a decent set of fast road pads (CWs are pretty good from experience) and some new stock discs and you will honestly feel that you have new uprated brakes on your car.

I wouldn't recommend getting 2nd hand UK brakes as you can easily spend a fortune refurbishing them, unless you get them very cheap of course. You can buy full refurbished UK spec calipers for £100ish per corner, so you could have a full set of new UK brakes for around £700 total (including new discs & decent pads).

Guest SilverSup

ok, thanks guys. Useful info. Might try to find a decent UK spec set. Failing that, i'll just refurb the ones i have. I'm handy with tools, i'll just need general advice on what needs doing.

Guest SilverSup

i think i'm more inclined to go down the refurb route first after having a little think. Anyone know where i can get refurb kits from? Cheers guys.

I've decided, after owning my very first supra for about a month now, the brakes need some upgrading. It's a J-Spec N/A SZ.

My question is - which is the best value for money big brake kit for the supra? I'm currently on 19" alloys, so not much in the way of clearance issues. The only thing i'm really constricted by is money (although i don't intend to scrimp too much where brakes are concerned).

For starters, i can't afford anything like the Brembo bb kit. £3k on brakes seems outlandish to me (only on an NA, TT might be a different story).

I have an unused, as new boxed pair of D2, 8 pot 356mm's for sale if you want them. I paid £899 a year ago but never fitted them to a car I sold as the wheels need to be 19's. My current Supra has stock wheels so I need to buy new wheels or sell these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-MK4-JZA80-356-D2-FRONT-BIG-BRAKE-DISC-KIT-/320534863868

I'd take £800 but tbh, I would rather buy new 19" wheels/tyres and fit them as intended than accept less. The quality is superb throughout except the 'anti-rattle' clips which are poorly designed and don't spring open the pads but rather, apply pressure to the top edges only. Nothing to stop normal springs being fitted though, as the pads all have holes for them.

Identical to those listed above, as purchased from them.

Guest SilverSup
he does a 'race' version as well which give very impressive bite and fade resistance (trade off is dust that might be best avoided if you aren't an obessive cleaner of those 19's)

haha, the 19's are in dire need of a refurb at the minute, so i'm not particularly fussed about a little dust.

Guest SilverSup

another quick question - which discs should i upgrade to? any particular brand? I'm not planning on doing very many track days, maybe the odd 2-3 through a year.

Guest SilverSup
That's handy! Mine are gathering dust; well the box is.

haha! I'll give your brake kit a thought while i try out refurbing my originals. If these j-specs aren't up to scratch then i'll probably be tempted.

Get a set of stockers, those are pretty decent and will take a fair bit of abuse with the right pads. If you start taking it seriously then you will need to upgrade the whole lot anyway.

Yeah, remember the 6 P rule.....

Proper

Preparation

Prevents

P!ss

Poor

Performance

Guest SilverSup
Get a set of stockers, those are pretty decent and will take a fair bit of abuse with the right pads. If you start taking it seriously then you will need to upgrade the whole lot anyway.

ok cool.

I've had a look on Brakeparts.co.uk and i'm looking through the refurb parts. Does anyone reckon i'll need new caliper pistons? Or do i just need to get their "caliper service kit"

ok cool.

I've had a look on Brakeparts.co.uk and i'm looking through the refurb parts. Does anyone reckon i'll need new caliper pistons? Or do i just need to get their "caliper service kit"

Only if they're badly corroded but even then, they'll clean up with a single cut file. It will only be around the seal lip.

ok cool.

They are pretty fast with delivery so I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. It works out quite expensive going down that route so it's best to avoid it if you can.

Once you split your calipers and pull the pistons you will know straight away if they need relaced. If they do, just buy as you need them. You will get them within 2-3 days anyway (as long as there is stock, but I know another supplier if need be).

I've also read reports that the pistons they supply are stainless steel so that's good to know :)