The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Supra

Guest b15njy

hey guys, I'm off to view my 1St supra TT Auto on Saturday and hoping to purchase it, i've been trying to search but not coming up with much help to the related questions i have.

The supra is a 95 model, does it have the option to manually select gears? or is it just point and squirt as it were? also when do you turn the overdrive button off? is it for I.e dragging or driving hard at lower speeds?

i've never driven an auto other than the old dear's landy so have no real concept of how it works or how i should drive it.

any information would be kindly appreciated

Regards benji

you can select gears when driving but ensure the manual button is on. I just drive in D, the kick down is lethal when BPU though

Why so?

In manu it will stick in whatever gear you select. if you select D it will pull away in D from junctions.unless you're going to do damage to the box by over revving in which case it will overide what you want.

In auto it is more like a limit, as in if you select 2 it will pull away from junctions in 1st and then go to 2nd but won't go to 3rd. Same as in manu though if you redline it in 2nd it will overide and go to D to save the gearbox

You can select gears in either auto or full manual but it has differing effects. Worth noting that the overdrive won't select in manu

This is my understanding anyway.

I use O/D a lot, when entering a 40mph limit etc it saves on brake wear and it is advisable to use all modes regularly otherwise solenoids can stick

R.

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

i always thought the manual button had to be ON to manually shift...?

I removed that manual system on the orange beast now, so its just put in D and hang on. lol

Not according to my gearbox :) might be faulty though. I rarely use manu but do knock it out of od in a 40 and then down to second around town as it then only uses 1st and 2nd and saves on brake wear.

Around town driving o/d off and never really get out of 2nd. On the motorway d with overdrive on. I always use the box manually as its alot more enjoyable and use the power better. Also fitted a 19 row mocal trans cooler to help the life of the box.

Not according to my gearbox :) might be faulty though. I rarely use manu but do knock it out of od in a 40 and then down to second around town as it then only uses 1st and 2nd and saves on brake wear.

I was always told that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes!

I was always told that brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes!

You are of course right, but its kind of what gearboxes are made for, its why they didn't hide the manu button away in the glovebox. Brake pads are generally considered to be consumables, gearboxes on the other hand aren't. Look after the autobox and give it regular oil changes it should last the life of the car even if you do, heaven forbid, use it to be in the right gear at the right time

Where I come from, they call people who drive around town in 1st and 2nd gear making lots of noise 'chavs' :p